Liverpool's brand of football: 'Sh*t hanging from a stick,' says Jorge Valdano

DJ_NUFC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=428836&root=europe&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos3&cc=5901

Valdano puts Real back in headlines

Dominic Raynor

It's hard to ignore Real Madrid. We can overlook the fact that David Beckham's return from exile is suddenly being hailed as the catalyst for Los Blancos' new found team spirit. We can also ignore the fact that Beckham has become so important that Madrid managed to get his suspension for the crucial match with Sevilla overturned, amid the suspicion of their peers.

Let's forget the fact that despite all of Real's well-documented troubles their 3-1 defeat of Sevilla has them only two points behind La Liga leaders Barcelona and within touching distance of their first title since 2002/03. And we can even pay scant regard to the fact that the once doomed Fabio Capello could now cling on to his job at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.

But when former Real Madrid coach and World Cup winner Jorge Valdano compares Liverpool and Chelsea to 'a shit hanging from a stick' then you have to take notice.

Writing in his column in Marca, Spain's biggest selling newspaper, the well-respected football intellectual expressed his exasperation at the brand of football on display between the two English clubs during their Champions League semi-final in typically colourful style.

'Football is made up of subjective feeling, of suggestion - and, in that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a shit hanging from a stick in the middle of this passionate, crazy stadium and there are people who will tell you it's a work of art. It's not: it's a shit hanging from a stick,' Valdano lamented.

'Chelsea and Liverpool are the clearest, most exaggerated example of the way football is going: very intense, very collective, very tactical, very physical, and very direct,' he added. 'But, a short pass? No. A feint? No. A change of pace? No. A one-two? A nutmeg? A backheel? Don't be ridiculous. None of that. The extreme control and seriousness with which both teams played the semi-final neutralised any creative licence, any moments of exquisite skill.'

What Valdano is saying is that football should be as much about form as it is function. Liverpool and Chelsea fans may enjoy the results that their teams churn out but are they really entertained? Do they actually enjoy watching this attritional, combative style?

There will always be blinkered supporters who can't see any deficiencies in their own team. Their way is the best way and they are happy to have the shitty end of the stick. However, many supporters of the Reds and Blues have openly admitted that if they were neutral fans they would prefer to watch Manchester United, Barcelona or Lyon because the football is much more artistic - it is only the results that keep them happy.

I am totally in the Valdano camp in terms of attractive football and the dire nature of that woeful semi-final (I actually allowed my wife to change channel) but I disagree that it is an example of the way football is irretrievably heading.

The system is self-policing. If a club play a style of football that depends solely on results to make it palatable then that very same benchmark for success works as a catalyst for demise when results are not forthcoming.

For instance, Arsene Wenger's slick, attacking style at Arsenal has brought him leniency with the supporters and critics. The Gunners have failed to invest heavily in the squad for two seasons and have failed to win any silverware for two years but still there are very few dissenting voices.

Conversely, Chelsea, who, according to Valdano, play a style bereft of creative licence, invested over £45million in the summer and scooped the Carling Cup but having failed in Europe and wilted in their defence of the Premiership title they have suffered an increasing barrage of criticism.

And it is this very balance which will continue to ebb and flow through football - with neither vanquishing the other.

The former Argentina international must look at his own beloved Real Madrid as a microcosm of this theory. Following three season's of self-proclaimed galatico football without a major honour - and there could be a fourth if they fail win the title this year - the board turned to the abrasive talents of Capello to get results at all costs, even if it went against the club's ethos.

Madrid were certainly well aware of the Italian's style from his first unpopular stint in charge at Madrid when he won La Liga in 1996/97. Indeed he made his name with AC Milan's 'invincibles' in the early 90's with his defensive catenaccio approach.

Maybe Valdano's comments were prompted by a shared disdain with the Madridstas for this grating un-Real like approach by their club. Fuelled by Capello's comments that the beauty of attacking football is old fashioned. 'Those days are over', he insisted. Adding that results are much more important than playing beautifully.

And that brings us full-circle. If Capello fails to get those results the contempt the fans and critics have for his modus operandi will undoubtedly prompt Madrid to quickly administer the anti-dote and bring in a coach that embraces free-flowing attacking football.

Yet how many of those disaffected Real Madrid fans would sign up to Capello-ism if during their barren spell they had matched the achievements of the clubs that Valdano admonished? During the same period Liverpool have won the European Cup and will play in another final later this month, whilst Chelsea have scooped two league championships and two League Cups.

There is room in the game for both pragmatic and stylistic approaches, indeed that is what makes the game so interesting. Valdano was right to lambast Liverpool and Chelsea's semi-final but last season's final between Arsenal and Barcelona proved success and artistry can go hand in hand.

Whilst the turgid affair at Anfield may make the majority of fans appreciate the fact that they don't possess a season ticket for either team it does not herald the decline of football.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clown prince Fabien Barthez has been forced to quit Ligue 1, at least temporarily, after the Nantes goalkeeper became embroiled in a fight to defend his Porsche from irate fans.

GettyImages

Is it the end for Fabien Barthez?

The former France international and World Cup winner quit Les Canaris after he was attacked by a group of the club's supporters after a 2-0 home defeat to Rennes. The 35-year-old was forced to stop his car as he was driving out of the Stade de la Beaujoire, and ended up trading blows with a supporter who had attempted to get inside the Porsche.

The eight-times French champions have since been relegated for the first time since 1963, ending a record 44 consecutive years in the top flight, and many supporters see the error-prone keeper - who spilled a seemingly harmless cross into his own net to hand relegation rivals Sedan a 1-0 victory - as the scapegoat upon which to vent their fury.

Although the incident forced the 1998 World Cup winner to leave Nantes for security reasons, he insists it does not signal the end of his career.

'I am hearing people say: 'It is a shame his career has finished like this'. But that couldn't be further from the truth,' he said.

'I think I still have two good years in my legs. It isn't playing in front of 50,000 people that I will miss. It is the game. It is more the human adventure.'

'I am not looking for a job. But if there is something good that comes up, I will do it.'

Barthez quit the game in October 2006 after failing to earn a contract with a Ligue 1 club following last summer's World Cup but later returned to life between the sticks by joining Nantes.

Hopefully he will be handed another chance to entertain football fans with his antics... as long as it is not at my club. 

Spanish football isn't as quick (although it's not exactly walking pace), and technically it's far superior. You see goals scored week-in, week-out over there on Revista de la Liga that would be on the shortlist for Goal of the Season over here.

Guest Rafa

kinell, old article! Where have you been, thats from about 2 weeks ago!

Old Valdano just hates Rafa, bless him, after what happened at Real Madrid all them years ago.

Benitez slams Valdano talkMay 15 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today launched a furious attack on Real Madrid’s former technical director Jorge Valdano after Liverpool’s style of play was criticised in Spain.

Argentinian Valdano, who left Real in 2005, claimed last week Liverpool fans would acclaim ‘sh*t hanging off a stick’ following their semi-final win over Chelsea.

Jose Mourinho was also targeted by Valdano, who is scathing of the tactics over both legs of the European tie.

Benitez was clearly unimpressed by the comments.

“The people at this club who are working to obtain the targets we are achieving deserve respect, a deep respect,” said Benitez.

“I believe that he has shown a lack of respect to the club and the fans and the sacred stage of Anfield. Speaking of “sh*t hanging from a stick” and other unfair comparisons show he has absolutely no knowledge of the historical reality of this organisation in world football.

“I have known Jorge Valdano for more than 20 years since my time at Real Madrid and I do not have the best professional concept of him.

“I believe that he has much to thank to people like Ramon Martinez, Cappa or Giráldez, to mention only some examples, of trainers or sporting directors he’s worked like.

“These are people who have made a bigger contribution.

“It infuriates to me that a person who has the privilege of being able to express himself in the media does not do so with honour and education and does not show, I repeat, the minimum respect to an institution like Liverpool, with it’s success and history.”

From here

kinell, old article! Where have you been, thats from about 2 weeks ago!

Old Valdano just hates Rafa, bless him, after what happened at Real Madrid all them years ago.

Benitez slams Valdano talkMay 15 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today launched a furious attack on Real Madrids former technical director Jorge Valdano after Liverpools style of play was criticised in Spain.

Argentinian Valdano, who left Real in 2005, claimed last week Liverpool fans would acclaim sh*t hanging off a stick following their semi-final win over Chelsea.

Jose Mourinho was also targeted by Valdano, who is scathing of the tactics over both legs of the European tie.

Benitez was clearly unimpressed by the comments.

The people at this club who are working to obtain the targets we are achieving deserve respect, a deep respect, said Benitez.

I believe that he has shown a lack of respect to the club and the fans and the sacred stage of Anfield. Speaking of sh*t hanging from a stick and other unfair comparisons show he has absolutely no knowledge of the historical reality of this organisation in world football.

I have known Jorge Valdano for more than 20 years since my time at Real Madrid and I do not have the best professional concept of him.

I believe that he has much to thank to people like Ramon Martinez, Cappa or Giráldez, to mention only some examples, of trainers or sporting directors hes worked like.

These are people who have made a bigger contribution.

It infuriates to me that a person who has the privilege of being able to express himself in the media does not do so with honour and education and does not show, I repeat, the minimum respect to an institution like Liverpool, with its success and history.

From here

So, in summation, speaking the truth is not permissible because Liverpool is such a mighty institution?

Can't wait till Stevie sees that - Benitez is responding to "Shit on a stick" with "Shit from the mouth"

Guest Alan Shearer 9

To be fair, Milan are going to win the Champion's League having played great football, and very attractive football too.

Guest zicobones

To be fair, Milan are going to win the Champion's League having played great football, and very attractive football too.

hmmmmmmm me thinks not

Guest Knightrider

I like to see good football myself and I think we all do, but the real beauty in football isn't attractive football but the myriad and different styles of play whether that be attractive football i.e. the Arsenal way, or how Liverpool and Chelsea play, for me anyway. So in a sense, Liverpool and Chelsea are still exponents of the beautiful game - in the context I value it. Sour grapes I feel due to Benitez knocking back Madrid overtures.

Guest sittingontheball

You can't argue with success.

However as a neutral, you can not tune in the next time Liverpool play Chelsea! That's what I'll be doing for sure!! You lads and lasses might think its bad but imagine what its like if you have to get up in the middle of the night to watch it.

Guest zicobones

plus the fact that benitez has done very well so far at liverpool

What has he done?

lmao you havin a laugh aint you  :laugh:

However as a neutral, you can not tune in the next time Liverpool play Chelsea! That's what I'll be doing for sure!! You lads and lasses might think its bad but imagine what its like if you have to get up in the middle of the night to watch it.

Yes I'd rather have my team shittingontheball and winning rather than playing attractive football and losing.

Guest zicobones

Yes I'd rather have my team shittingontheball and winning rather than playing attractive football and losing.

is true if we had played gun ho against chelsea they would of ripped us apart