Zog to be flogged

psychpearce

From the Guadian, not sure if (a) this has been posted before, (2) if this is a direct quote from the Fat Man himself, or a fictitious one.

===========

Owen absent as Allardyce takes reins at Newcastle

Michael Walker

Wednesday May 16, 2007

The Guardian

Michael Owen and Newcastle United appear no closer to reconciliation. After Freddy Shepherd's public rebuke to Owen about loyalty last week, the Newcastle chairman revealed yesterday that he and the player had not spoken directly since, and although he said of Owen, "He's done nothing wrong to me. I'm quite happy relationship-wise," he concluded with "The ball's in his court".

It has been since last Wednesday, but there has been no word from Owen. Like several other Newcastle players, he failed to witness Sam Allardyce's first trip to the club's training ground as Newcastle manager yesterday. Owen was in Ireland on an unspecified trip.

Article continues

The club will not prevent him joining up with England for the B international against Albania at Burnley on Friday week but he earns about £15,000 a day and each week that passes without him stating his commitment to Newcastle hurts the club severely.

"I haven't heard from Michael Owen," Shepherd said when asked about last week's comments. "He wouldn't have signed in the first place if he didn't think this was the place - if 20,000 people coming to see him that day didn't make his mind up, nothing would.

"As I've said before, he's under contract here until something else happens and I hope he stays. He's a great player and as far as I'm concerned I've got no problem with him. He's done nothing wrong to me; I'm quite happy relationship-wise. But like any player, he has to make his mind up about what he wants to do. It's up to him. The ball's in his court."

Shepherd was also asked about two other reluctant players, Obafemi Martins and Charles N'Zogbia, who declined to appear at Watford on Sunday. "Oba has been on the phone and said it was a complete misunderstanding. Until we see him face to face I cannot really comment on that one, <b>but Charles N'Zogbia wants his backside smacked. It's absolutely ridiculous. A young man like him who has been here all this time trying to play the big star - he should do it on the field before trying to do it off it," Shepherd said.</b>

Allardyce was relaxed about Owen's absence yesterday and was not treating it as a snub, but the two will speak by telephone before meeting in person. "He sent his apologies," the manager said.

Thats it Fred, slag off one of our brightest but fragile young players through the media, I'm sure that will do his situation the world of good.

Fucking prick. Why on earth can he never keep these things internal?

Yeah, great prospect he is now turning out to be, isnt he?

Freddie is quite right to let us all know what is happenng. As fans, we do not pay this little pricks wages for him to show the management of the club so much disrespect at a tactical team meeting prior to a game.

A kick in the arse is mild compared what I would do to him if he were one of my players.

Freddie is quite right to let us all know what is happenng. As fans, we do not pay this little pricks wages for him to show the management of the club so much disrespect at a tactical team meeting prior to a game.

A kick in the arse is mild compared what I would do to him if he were one of my players.

Erm, but we all know whats going on anyway.

We don't need the guy to be criticised like that by the chairman. I'm sure Zogs in the wrong here very much, and I'm happy for the club to discipline him internally but how on earth is talking about Charles like that going to help anything?

I take it you forget 05-06. Our best player, there or thereabouts. Had an abysmal one last season, no doubt about it, but a year ago he was pretty much our best prospect and I'm sure he can't have gotten worse/much worse in just 12 months.

I think we give a lot of leeway to the zog because of the circumstances at the club, first under the deplorable souness where he actually shone and then under gormless glenn where he was dropped for duff etc, but honestly both his play and his attitude have turned shit recently and as much as I'd like to blame those extenuating circumstances the truth of the matter is the blame lies firmly with Charlie.  He needs a boot, or ten, up the backside. 

I don't so much mind Shepherd spilling a little of it in public though I hope whatever devils that are in the details remain private.

Fatso is perfectly right and certainly well within his rights to say that. Its not like a one off he has been a sulky arrogant sod for over a year now. He needs a kick up the arse (or hand round the shoulder).

He should know he has done wrong and accept any deserving criticism, but from now on he has a second chance.

We don't need the guy to be criticised like that by the chairman. I'm sure Zogs in the wrong here very much, and I'm happy for the club to discipline him internally but how on earth is talking about Charles like that going to help anything?

I take it you forget 05-06. Our best player, there or thereabouts. Had an abysmal one last season, no doubt about it, but a year ago he was pretty much our best prospect and I'm sure he can't have gotten worse/much worse in just 12 months.

Just a theory, but there have been rumblings about N'Zogbia's attitude for quite some time now, so it stands to reason that Sunday was the straw that broke the camel's back and the point of no return has been passed - and therefore "helping" N'Zogbia is no longer on the agenda.

Well may we say that he was a shining light in 05-06, and well may we curse Roeder for dropping him in favour of Duff - but this is where we're at now, with a new man in charge. If Big Sam is going to be the broom to clean the club up, then sweeping away a talented but troubled player might just be the price we have to pay for progress.

And while it could be said that this could have been said behind closed doors, let's assume that Freddy chose to make this public, to tell the squad, the fans and even prospective new players that a new regime has arrived, that the time for being taken for a ride is over...

Just a theory, but there have been rumblings about N'Zogbia's attitude for quite some time now, so it stands to reason that Sunday was the straw that broke the camel's back and the point of no return has been passed - and therefore "helping" N'Zogbia is no longer on the agenda.

Well may we say that he was a shining light in 05-06, and well may we curse Roeder for dropping him in favour of Duff - but this is where we're at now, with a new man in charge. If Big Sam is going to be the broom to clean the club up, then sweeping away a talented but troubled player might just be the price we have to pay for progress.

And while it could be said that this could have been said behind closed doors, let's assume that Freddy chose to make this public, to tell the squad, the fans and even prospective new players that a new regime has arrived, that the time for being taken for a ride is over...

Amen.

Guest teepee

big sam emphasizes man management as his strongest side - thank fuck for that - to freddy it simply isnt a side...

Guest marky555

Totally fair enough what Freddy has said, he thinks he's mint when he hasn't really proved fuck all yet, sitting texting on his phone when there's a teamtalk going on (if true) is a fucking disgrace, little shit, get rid of him, thinks he's big time, out on the quayside with his boys n that..fuck off charlie.

everyone starts with a clean slate under a new boss, the chairman should keep his nose out, it's not his business to deal with or try to man manage the players. he has to learn to not get involved in those areas of the club that should be controlled by big sam, or this "revolution" of Allardyce's will never work.

Guest nufc_geordie

Nothing wrong with that statement. A bit more transparency from the club regarding what is going on internally is what has been needed for some time now. If he does have an attitude problem, and this goes for all those others in the dressing room who have similar behavioral issues, they are now left in no doubt that the time has gone for messing around.

Guest Ridzuan

Im sure Big Sam will sort this problem out and convince Owen to stay with us for at least another season,well that is what Im hoping for.

They signed Duff..  ..his father died..  they sold Boumsong...  his world turned upside down in the space of a short time.

I don't know, maybe he turned to Dyer for advice and now it's not only upside down but completely fucked up too.

One things for sure, he won't have had the support a young foreign player at a new club needs as there is no support network. Soon will be though.

Guest TheOrder

They signed Duff..  ..his father died..  they sold Boumsong...  his world turned upside down in the space of a short time.

I don't know, maybe he turned to Dyer for advice and now it's not only upside down but completely fucked up too.

One things for sure, he won't have had the support a young foreign player at a new club needs as there is no support network. Soon will be though.

:confused2:

Or maybe the money and the 'fame' has went to his head, and he's just a spoilt prick? :knuppel2:

Good on FS coming out and calling him, someone at the club had too, at least this way when SA comes back he can either pick him up and get his career back on track and Zoggy might have come to his senses.

Texting in a teamtalk FFS, the lads wants a 4 week fine for that, i couldn't of resisted kocking the cheeky French cunt out if he showed me and my club that kind of lack of respect.

ATM Zoggy is a total fuking tosser and going from one of my high hopes for this club, am at the point where the lad can sulk of somewhere else as long as we get a nice fee for the useless cunt.

Fair enough, Zog's attitude seems to have been crap - although this is only based on rumours and press speculation.

All I think is that in these times of a new manager and clean slate for everyone, Freddy should keep his views out of the papers and let Sam deal with things behind the scenes. Fred is just trying to protect his own position by appearing to be the no-nonsense 'man of the people' rubbish.

I don't think all is lost for Zog once Sam has had a word, I'm sure he will be sensible enough to go in softly softly, then decide if he needs a 'kick up the arse' later.

but Charles N'Zogbia wants his backside smacked. It's absolutely ridiculous. A young man like him who has been here all this time trying to play the big star - he should do it on the field before trying to do it off it," Shepherd said.

Fat Freddy is impressing me more and more frigging genius quote

French left winders are more trouble than they are worth.  been piss poor all season too!

no wonder Roeder favoured Duff.  With Zoggy being a cock and all

Fair enough, Zog's attitude seems to have been crap - although this is only based on rumours and press speculation.

All I think is that in these times of a new manager and clean slate for everyone, Freddy should keep his views out of the papers and let Sam deal with things behind the scenes. Fred is just trying to protect his own position by appearing to be the no-nonsense 'man of the people' rubbish.

I don't think all is lost for Zog once Sam has had a word, I'm sure he will be sensible enough to go in softly softly, then decide if he needs a 'kick up the arse' later.

I dont think so this time, i think he's genuinely pissed at the cunt for disrespecting the club and is letting him know he's on thin ice.

With no manager in charge Zoggy thinks he's not accountable for his actions, but FS is dealing with it by blasting him, then SA can take if from there afterwards.

Makes good sense to me.

I dont think so this time, i think he's genuinely pissed at the cunt for disrespecting the club and is letting him know he's on thin ice.

With no manager in charge Zoggy thinks he's not accountable for his actions, but FS is dealing with it by blasting him, then SA can take if from there afterwards.

Makes good sense to me.

I see what you're saying, I just think that it is the manager's job to deal with this sort of thing - and either way it should be done in private. I know this isn't an ideal world though, and I can certainly see why Fred is pissed off.

What we don't want to do is spite ourselves by making relations with Zog irreparable just as a new manager is coming in who might have been able to salvage the situation. 

Makes good sense to me.

I see what you're saying, I just think that it is the manager's job to deal with this sort of thing - and either way it should be done in private. I know this isn't an ideal world though, and I can certainly see why Fred is pissed off.

What we don't want to do is spite ourselves by making relations with Zog irreparable just as a new manager is coming in who might have been able to salvage the situation. 

But we had no manager when this happened, and Zoggy was taking a liberty, it got out into the press, and FS has dealt with the press about it, Zoggy has been left in no uncertain terms that the club are officially being seen to be pissed off with his actions. ATM Zoggy thinks he's bigger than the club, the club have just reminded him publicly he is nothing special yet, and should take note of that.

Sam can come in and give him a cuddle when he gets back, good cop bad cop etc, i think it was a good move by freddy for once.

Guest Guinness

there is also the possibility he has been tapped up by Arsenal, and he is trying to make sure we let him leave.

Maybe they'd give us Flamini in exchange, he was quoted earlier in the season saying he wanted to leave.

As for Fred's comments, I don't see why this needs to be a public matter, we've got to start dealing with matters like this in private.