Day 1 and Sam Allardyce already looks defeated in losing clubs Star player

Gallowgate End

Big Sam won't beg Michael Owen to Stay

SAM ALLARDYCE last night admitted he will not be begging Michael Owen to become a part of his Newcastle revolution.

Big Sam signed a three-year, £10million deal to become Toon boss — but has yet to talk to Owen about his commitment to the cause.

Allardyce met most of the Newcastle squad yesterday morning, including bad boys Obafemi Martins and Charles N’Zogbia.

But he failed to link up with England hitman Owen who was on a short break in Ireland.

Allardyce, 52, said: “One of the first things I’ll be doing is sitting down with Michael and having a little chat with him.

“I will be asking him does he want to stay with us or go?

“Obviously I would like him to stay because he has that rare commodity of being able to score goals. What I think Michael needs is more time to get on track for us and, hopefully, he will decide to take that time.

“But it’s not all about Michael Owen. He is a big player and I will be speaking with him, as I will be with everyone else.

“The problem seems to have cleared up and if he is back playing that can only benefit Newcastle.”

Owen, 27, has made only 14 appearances in two seasons. He has a £9m release clause in his contract which has been activated following Toon’s failure to qualify for Europe.

Manchester United have been alerted.

N’Zogbia refused to sit on the bench at Watford on Sunday and left the ground before the start.

And Martins claimed he was injured on Saturday despite showing no signs of any problem during the week.

Allardyce, who replaces Glenn Roeder as manager, added: “Until I get the chance to speak to Michael I don’t know what he is thinking.

“You wouldn’t want to lose your leading goalscorers, though.

“I am sure if they start working with me they will start enjoying what they do.”

Chairman Freddy Shepherd said: “Michael’s under contract until something else happens and I hope he stays. The ball’s in his court.”

Allardyce has been handed a war-chest of around £20m. He added: “There’s no reason Newcastle shouldn’t be able to challenge some of those top four.”

Its only day one and already Sam Allardyce looks defeated in losing our clubs Star player in Michael Owen.

Comments such as "i will be asking him does he want to stay or go?" are simply not good enough this is Big Sam chance at a Big Club with Big players he has to prove he can keep the likes of Michael Owen and build a team around him much like previous managers could with previous Top players in Alan Shearer by building teams around him.

When Sir Bobby Robson was appointed he knew if we were to hit High league places of 3rd, 4th, 5th that building a team around its best player in Alan Shearer was vital and its the same with Sam Allardyce and Michael Owen.

Sam Allardyce main priority when talking in his press conference yesterday SHOULD of been his desire to build a team around Michael Owen and his desire to KEEP him not spending all his passion in defending his long ball history at Bolton.

The fears of Sam Allardyce lack of big club experience could well already be showing.

Guest MagicNumber9

I wouldnt beg the money hugry scouse twat either.

Owen owes us big time, hes owes us at lease 1 season to repay us for the support weve showed him over the past year. He should have come out by now and said he was staying but hes said fuck all so far.

So, basically, go on Owen, fuck off, you dont want to be here, just come out and say it!

Guest Ridzuan

I think Big Sam just want to have an assurance from Owen that he still wants to play for us next season.There is no use of keeping him if he is not interested in playing for us.

The fears of Sam Allardyce lack of big club experience could well already be showing.

:-[

Unbelievable. Give the bloke a chance.

He should of made it clear in the press conference keeping Michael Owen and building a team around him was something important to him comments of "its not all about Michael Owen" and "i will be asking him if he wants to stay or go" are not good enough for god sake Sam don't lose a World Class player before you have even had the chance to work with one.

Guest MagicNumber9

To be honest, I'd snap their hands of for 9million. Sure he's a great goalscorer, but he offers nothing to the rest of our game.

I think Sam's right on this one. Why should he beg Michael Owen to stay? It shouldn't be that way around.

Exactly

Its only day one and already Sam Allardyce looks defeated in losing our clubs Star player in Michael Owen.

Comments such as "i will be asking him does he want to stay or go?" are simply not good enough this is Big Sam chance at a Big Club with Big players he has to prove he can keep the likes of Michael Owen and build a team around him much like previous managers could with previous Top players in Alan Shearer by building teams around him.

Okay, I'll take you seriously...

Perhaps an alternative perspective might be that:

a) Big Sam's hands are tied somewhat by a clause in his contract that pre-dated his employment. Any club that wants to offer 9m has the opportunity to sign him whether Sam approves or not

b) Big Sam is entirely correct not to beg Owen to stay. How can he flex his muscles and sort out dressing-room dissent (one of the reasons we appointed him!) if he's grovelling to one player?

c) Perhaps Big Sam doesn't have the same feelings as yourself that a team should be built around a single player, especially a player with such an atrocious injury record

d) Perhaps he's confident that he can sign a suitable replacement

So on the whole I couldn't disagree more...

Fuck him, Yes he's a great goalscorer but if he doesnt want to be here then it's going to show on the pitch!

I would like to keep him as I think He will have a good season when fit, But if he wants to leave so be it.

We've always got ameobi :uglystupid2:

If Shearer's put his neck on the line by saying he's staying, then he's staying in my book!

But even if he does go, we've not actually missed anything from him, except pissing away 9 million

Guest BigAl2

:-[

He should of made it clear in the press conference keeping Michael Owen and building a team around him was something important to him comments of "its not all about Michael Owen" and "i will be asking him if he wants to stay or go" are not good enough for god sake Sam don't lose a World Class player before you have even had the chance to work with one.

What a load of bollocks!!!!

Build a team around a player that has just comeback from a career threatening injury and has a history of hamstring problems!!

Yes a fully fit Owen is a force to reckon with but if his heart isn't in the club then its time to move on, Big Sam is right in saying what he has said about Owen and hopefully he will stay but we have more than enough players who are not committed to the cause, personally the first thing I would buy Big Sam is a f--king big broom to sweep the rest of the sh-te out the door.

Bollocks to begging him to stay, anyone who has played as little as he has over the past 2 years and is paid over £100k a week should fuck right off if they need begging to stay!

One thing we should know by now is that Sam is the biggest person at the club now. No player is bigger than he is, I would imagine that all the players will be asked the same question.

Question: Do you want to play for newcastle or not??? 

Answer: Yes

Answer: No.  -  'Ok then, don't let the door hit your backside on the way out!!!!'

Bollocks to begging him to stay, anyone who has played as little as he has over the past 2 years and is paid over £100k a week should fuck right off if they need begging to stay!

There is a big difference between begging and showing your desire in your press conference to keep your World Class player.

His desire to defend his "Ugly football" tag was obvious.

I hope thats not a on going theme.

Guest Morph

TBF, sell Owen for 9 mil if he wants to leave, and buy an equally as good player.  How much did Berbatov cost again?  Huntelaar anyone?  Benni McCarthy? Steve Howard?

Why would he want a player that doesn't want to be here. I think Sam is doing the right thing, if Owen comes out and says I am staying then Sam can build the team around Owen, if Owen says he is going then Sam knows what he needs to do.

Its not letting players walk all over him its taking a sensible approach, and if the 9 million claus is to believed there is no way we can make him stay anyway, so there is no point getting it to a messy dispute with the lad.

I will prefer him to stay but I will not break my heart if he goes!

Guest Morph

TBF, sell Owen for 9 mil if he wants to leave, and buy an equally as good player.  How much did Berbatov cost again?  Huntelaar anyone?  Benni McCarthy? Steve Howard?

:clap:  :rolleyes:

Too Easy.

Guest Guinness

As I said yesterday, I have complete faith in Sam's ability in managing the Owen situation.