Day 1 and Sam Allardyce already looks defeated in losing clubs Star player

Gallowgate End

Guest Micktoon

Bollocks to begging him to stay, anyone who has played as little as he has over the past 2 years and is paid over £100k a week should f*** right off if they need begging to stay!

There is a big difference between begging and showing your desire in your press conference to keep your World Class player.

His desire to defend his "Ugly football" tag was obvious.

I hope thats not a on going theme.

FFS, one day of woop de woop then the doom and gloom mongerers come back out the woodwork. Is it just me or do we have a disproportionate amount of miserable fuckers following us. You know those fuckers who if they fell in a barrel of tits they'd come out sucking their f****** thumbs.

Owen is a world class player who I'd love to have here next season, but after the last two seasons he owes us not the other way round. I hope he personally realises this, if not, take the cash and buy someone who wants to play for us. We've had two many years of hangers on with no desire.

Sam's forte is taking 'stars' and turning them into team players as well as individual talent.  So it'll be interesting to see how he deals with Oba.

All this might be out of his control anyway but I cant see him being someone who would beg anyway. He'll say the same to all of them; piss or get off the pot.

All this might be out of his control anyway but I cant see him being someone who would beg anyway. He'll say the same to all of them; piss or get off the pot.

Like i said there is a difference between begging and showing your desire in your press conference to keep your World Class player.

His desire to defend his "Ugly football" tag was obvious.

I hope thats not a on going theme.

In regards to the Michael Owen situation when talking in his press conference i was disappointed but the positives of a structured and constructive back room staff were the positives.

I am not against Sam Allardyce but his lack of Big Club experience and experience with Big players is a big issue for me especially if Shepherd Aims for Big Sam are to bring back Sir Bobby Robson 3rd, 4th, 5th finishes and get European football consistently.

Guest smoggeordie

The name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back.

If we wants to stay, great. If not, sell him and move on.

Guest smoggeordie

The name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back.

If we wants to stay, great. If not, sell him and move on.

and i'm not on about Northern Rock.  ;)

Guest Morph

Steve Howard :lol:

Would have scored more goals for us last season than Owen did.

That being said, I was joking of course.

The whole report just looks like they've 're-interpreted' what he said at the Press Conference, and tried to give it a more sensational spin.

Wouldn't read too much into this at all, I was very pleased with what he said in front of the cameras.

Afterall, he did say that he wanted oba and owen to stay and that "you dont want to lose your leading goalscorers" when asked about them.

No point getting uptight about some rag trying to look for something negative on a positive day.

The fears of Sam Allardyce lack of big club experience could well already be showing.

:-[

Unbelievable. Give the bloke a chance.

He should of made it clear in the press conference keeping Michael Owen and building a team around him was something important to him comments of "its not all about Michael Owen" and "i will be asking him if he wants to stay or go" are not good enough for god sake Sam don't lose a World Class player before you have even had the chance to work with one.

Read the first line in the "How to build a team" handbook.

The fears of Sam Allardyce lack of big club experience could well already be showing.

He should of made it clear in the press conference keeping Michael Owen and building a team around him was something important to him comments of "its not all about Michael Owen" and "i will be asking him if he wants to stay or go" are not good enough for god sake Sam don't lose a World Class player before you have even had the chance to work with one.

I better get Sir Bobby Robson autobiography out.  :thup:

I better get Sir Bobby Robson autobiography out.  :thup:

You don't build a team mentality and identity by starting off and singling out one player whoever he is for special treatment. That is why he was careful to add that he would speak on the phone to Michael (pause)  and others.  SA is a professional with a deep understanding of sport science and psychology, he will need what needs saying to Owen in good time.

Firstly, thats the fucking Sun, get a grip.

Secondly, it is important for us to have good players, naturally, but lets not pretend its "X player at any cost", cos thats bollocks. If Owen wants to stay and give it a go, fantastic, he's a top player. If not, fair do's get rid, and look to the future. Michael Owen is not the only striker in the world who will get us 15+ league goals a season.

Thirdly, Allardyce is goign to have to make a lot of decisions and see the back of a fair few players now, at Christmas and next summer. A lot of the so-called first team will have to be replaced, and if that has to include Owen, then at least Allardyce has been shown to know a decent footballer from a hole in his arse, and we have to trust him (until he proves otherwise, although hopefully he won't) in that he will get the players we need.

I think that to ask whether a player wants to stay is a perfectly valid question.  This is a great time for Newcastle, a decent manager who has no preconceptions and is prepared to do what it takes to fire this club back into the position we all want it to be in.

Owen is so fragile now that if he wants to leave and we get a good offer then he should go.

Any player that wants to go now can go, without exception.  We will see a brand new Newcastle United next season.  I will definately be renewing my ticket now, I am very optimistic.

Lets face it, some of us didnt want sam AT ALL  but Sam is the manager, so he needs faith and backing from the fans.

Do "journalists" like to see newcastle fail?

I think we should wait untill things DO happen instead of speculating about nonsence like the red tops do!

Lets face it, some of us didnt want sam AT ALL  but Sam is the manager, so he needs faith and backing from the fans.

Agree.

My point was the lack of Top Club experience showed in the press conference regards the Michael Owen situation remember this is a guy who has spent his life at a club like Bolton doubts about him not having a enough of a Big Club experience is a perfectly valid one the situations that have happened at this club political and press wise for the last 5 years will be a whole new thing for Sam Allardyce and his managerial skills to deal with.

But as i said there were positives in his press conference such us a new structured and constructive back room stuff which will provide a good support for the players to prosper.

Agree.

My point was the lack of Top Club experience showed in the press conference regards the Michael Owen situation remember this is a guy who has spent his life at a club like Bolton doubts about him not having a enough of a Big Club experience is a perfectly valid one the situations that have happened at this club political and press wise for the last 5 years will be a whole new thing for Sam Allardyce and his managerial skills to deal with.

But as i said there were positives in his press conference such us a new structured and constructive back room stuff which will provide a good support for the players to prosper.

He's not at a "Big Club", though. Teh hope is that he validates us in showing that we can BECOEM one.

Agree.

I suppose he was worse than Souness or the 'one word mumbled at a time' Dalglish. I'm still not sure what the whole thread is about...seriously.

YOu've fallen for it and started a thread around baseless nonsense from THe Sun.

Are you judging SA on one press conferance? Ridiculous. Surely you see that.

Guest Armchair Pundit

I reckon Sam's done all the right things so far, he's the manager and he shouldn't be held to ransom by a player who already owes Newcastle United. If Owen wants to go then he should do it and be happy to become a mercenary figure of hate, it's not down to Sam to 'beg' him to stay, Owen should 'want' to play for us. Stupid to say Sam's showing inexperience and all that guff.

Agree.

He's not at a "Big Club", though. Teh hope is that he validates us in showing that we can BECOEM one.

"Big Club" in recent history for me is a club thats experienced High finishes in the Premiership 2nd, 2nd (Keegan) 3rd, 4th, 5th (Robson) and played Champions League football and has had World Class players, Alan Shearer greatest premiership goal scorer of all time and one of England's greatest ever centre forwards and Michael Owen one of England's highest ever goal scorers.

No club outside the "Big 4" has had that since the Premiership has began we are the 5th biggest club and are a "Big Club" due to our Premiership history.

There is no doubt the Newcastle United experience will be a big test for Sam Allardyce because it involves "Big Club" pressures managing "Big Club" players (Michael Owen).

Sam Allardyce has proven he can managed a small club pressures to get them 8th, 9th and 6th ect ect whether he can achieve Freddy Shepherd aims of bring back 3rd, 4th and 5th and European football consistently is something Sam Allardyce will have to prove.