Overheating

Wullie

I used to have problems with my laptop overheating until I broke my fan and got a new one, but now it's happening again. I can't even install a simple game like Broken Sword because of the amount of heat it generates and using torrents has become a real gamble that it won't shut the thing down.

I've not defragged for over a year (oops) but even when I do that, something goes wrong, it gets to a stage where the defragger seems to be moving the same three small files around, perhaps it's meant to do this but I never get a chance to see how it progresses because before long it overheats and shuts down. Everything just seems to use so much system resource and cause so much slowdown.

Any ideas?

No, it's always been a bit of a problem but my new fan solved it, there's nothing been installed recently.

I've got one RAM port which doesn't even fucking work, so there's 256MB going unused in there which cost me a pretty penny, but that's another story.

Maybe that's what's fucking it though?  I don't know though, just guessing here.  I remember when I installed RAM once, it wasn't in right, and it did exactly what you're describing. 

I'm no help though, wait for a geek to come on. ;)

Guest Snoopy

My laptops often over heat. My old one broke as it got so hot that it burned out. When my laptops overheat I just use those cans of compressed air to blow all the muck and dust out, there is always loads in there.

Hope you get it sorted soon Wullie, its bloody annoying when computers go wrong.

My laptops often over heat. My old one broke as it got so hot that it burned out. When my laptops overheat I just use those cans of compressed air to blow all the muck and dust out, there is always loads in there.

Hope you get it sorted soon Wullie, its bloody annoying when computers go wrong.

That's what I need, where do you get it? Thought the huge Tesco might have some, they sell everything else but they didn't. Might go to Homebase later, see if they've got any.

Guest Snoopy
That's what I need, where do you get it? Thought the huge Tesco might have some, they sell everything else but they didn't. Might go to Homebase later, see if they've got any.

I think my dad got ours from PC World, I am not too sure because I was not there when he bought it, but I am sure that somewhere like that would sell it, or you could maybe try somewhere like Comet as they have loads of things on sale there. :) Hope you find some soon.

I went to PC World, couldn't see any though, should have asked really. Don't like asking cos I have contempt for the people that work there. Might go back now actually, it's next door to Homebase anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest j.smith1981

Sounds like your laptops over heating.

If your using your laptop for longer periods of time its not healthy for it not even desktops is it healthy for em to be in that state.

Basically laptops are worse for that, especially before the Intel Centrino processors because their especially adapted for laptops and portable computers etc.

Its basically because laptops dont have much space for the processor to do its work, when the processor becomes hot it actually slows its work down, because the resistance of the circuits in the processor becomes even greater with the added temperature, check on BIOS its running temperature if its anything say from above 70c ur going to have major problems even with melting the wires in the CPU (thats not good!!).

There is a table thing you can get which helps keep the laptop cool. You have to start using it at a certain time though otherwise it is to hot and won't cool down or if you do it do early it'll still get to hot. There is a website somewhere about it and how to make the best use of it.

Guest j.smith1981

Ive heard about things like that, I dont personally like laptops myself, I find them soo figety really little keys etc.

I dont like the way the keyboards are arranged either, but yes Ive heard about things like that, its to do with spacing of the parts in the laptop too, like it being soo close to the surface and not having enough ventilation (thats why I have my processor on my desk not on the floor, as this causes again too much dust).

As with new processors the need for cooling has become a massive factor, like I've also heard of water cooling with desktops (a friend from University told me about that) sounds weird tho haha