Memory

Clay

I've got 256mb of memory in my Pc.. and recently i've been getting the blue screen and random system restarts.. So i've googled the problem and so i went through a list of things.. Cleaned the shit load of dust from my fan, case etc.. Got a couple of system performance programs and registry cleaning things, The only thing i have left to do is defrag which i havn't done in 3 years.. because everytime i try it crashes.. Anyway.. Does anybody have any ideas why little programs like MSN or Firefox or BitLord are completely eating up my memory.. Its leaving me with like 75Mb left.. Is it just my memory is old and that happens or something else?

Cheers mate :) I've just ordered a Gig of memory.. so i hope that'll sort it out lol... I was just wondering should more memory lower my CPU usage? because when i've got a couple of programs open it seems to be hovering around 60-100% is that normal or is my CPU fucked or something?

Cheers mate :) I've just ordered a Gig of memory.. so i hope that'll sort it out lol... I was just wondering should more memory lower my CPU usage? because when i've got a couple of programs open it seems to be hovering around 60-100% is that normal or is my CPU fucked or something?

What programs?

That sounds like way too much usage. Is it a laptop or a desktop?

What programs?

That sounds like way too much usage. Is it a laptop or a desktop?

It's a desktop like.. 2.3 Ghz with 256meg of Ram... i'm nee good with computers like.. but my guess is that because i've hardly got no memory, my cpu is getting over worked?? lol fuck nahs

Next time it slows right down, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click the Processes tab. Then post up which programs are using the big CPU percentages. Memory helps but CPU being used up so much sometimes means something else.

Actually mate i've checked again and it seems to be floating around 50% when and i've got bitlord, msn and firefox open.. It's shooting right up to 80-100% when im scrolling up and down on webpages though.. like i say it's 2.3 Ghz so surely it should be able to hand all that no problem?? Unless it's definatly my lack of memory that is causing my problems..