David Kelly - who did we buy him off?

Crumpy Gunt

Got to agree. Saved the Toon - FACT

Was anyone here part of the 25,989 that saw his goal that saved the day?  I was right in line with shot in it went what a goal.

Gallowgate, almost in line from where he hit the shot - flew in - pandemodium  :bounce:

Was anyone here part of the 25,989 that saw his goal that saved the day?  I was right in line with shot in it went what a goal.

Gallowgate, almost in line from where he hit the shot - flew in - pandemodium  :bounce:

Were you in the Scoreboard quite far back, but near The Corner.  That's where I was when the ball hit the net, I was near the front 30 seconds later. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Were you in the Scoreboard quite far back, but near The Corner.  That's where I was when the ball hit the net, I was near the front 30 seconds later. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I was almost in line with where the 18 yard lines goes outwards from the by-line (Old Stand side of the Gallowgate). I was about 3/4 of the way back.

Those who were there will never forget it.

I was almost in line with where the 18 yard lines goes outwards from the by-line (Old Stand side of the Gallowgate). I was about 3/4 of the way back.

You would've been within spitting distance of me.

I dont think I have known goal celebrations quite like it.

Just a magic feeling even though it was a goal saving us from the abyss and not a championship winning goal.

Was my hero from that moment onwards. Top Top fella

I dont think I have known goal celebrations quite like it.

Just a magic feeling even though it was a goal saving us from the abyss and not a championship winning goal.

Was my hero from that moment onwards. Top Top fella

it was a goal that kept us going,as it turns out we probably would have stopped up even if we'd drew,leicester was the bigger game,it all rode on that game(yes i know in the end we'd have stopped up even if we'd lost) but when we kicked off that day we could have got relegated,the portsmouth game wasn't like that.we started that game knowing that day couldn't get us relegated.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

We would have gone down if Kelly hadn't scored the winner vs Pompey. The Pomey win laid the foundations for the Leicester match.

20. Newcastle United        46  9  8  6  38  30  4  5 14  28  54  52

21. Oxford United          46  10  6  7  39  30  3  5 15  27  43  50

22. PLYMOUTH ARGYLE ®    46  11  5  7  26  26  2  4 17  16  38  48

23. BRIGHTON & H ALBION ® 46  7  7  9  36  37  5  4 14  20  40  47

24. PORT VALE ®          46  7  8  8  23  25  3  7 13  19  34  45

I think I remember thinking that if we didnt beat Portsmouth we were well and truly knackered.

The goal probably gave us just enough confidence to go to Leicester and get something.

Certainly dont want to take anything away from the Leicester victory either.... that was truly massive (werent they in the play offs that year?) but I like to think that Kelly's goal just gave us that nudge to go and win down there.

I was there - in the Scoreboard. Sheer bedlam (and relief) when he scored the winner.

You would've been within spitting distance of me.

he didn't, did he  :coolsmiley:

I was in line with it too, behind it, the view was as per my avatar

Guest posadageordie

always felt sorry for him after doing a great job in our promotion season then getting sold on without having a crack in the top league.

#

Aye, we should have kept him and let Everton keep Beardsley.

I was there - in the Scoreboard. Sheer bedlam (and relief) when he scored the winner.

I was near the scoreboard when the ball left his foot, nearer the front when it had gone in. Absolute mayhem. Great atmosphere after that, shit scared before it.

always felt sorry for him after doing a great job in our promotion season then getting sold on without having a crack in the top league.

#

Aye, we should have kept him and let Everton keep Beardsley.

hope you are taking the piss