DNS Error

Guest Statue_4_Shearere

Guest Statue_4_Shearere

Im having trouble with my broadband connection (Tiscali).  It wont let me sign into MSN and when i try to load up any page on Internet Explorer, im just getting the standard message "page cannot be displayed", although at the bottom of the page its saying there is a "DNS error" and "cannot connect to the server".  I have a laptop aswell so am using a BT router.  The Wireless light on the router is flashing, but the ADSL light isnt coming on at all.  My first thoughts are that one of my ADSL filters could be nackered, but Im having no problems with my phone.  Any ideas anyone?

Guest j.smith1981

This could be due to any number of reasons for why your browser is coming up with that message.

Basically all its saying is theres no actual connection, is your browser hanging? (what I mean by that is it spending time with the progress bar or is the windows flag flying animated for any duration)

If it is its obviously found a connection but cannot get through.

Also the best way I could tell is to say exactly what you have got to find a solution to the problem, I use on my dads system a NTL Broadband connection to a Belkin Fast Speed X35 router also enables two connections wired which we use and wireless (tho on my netgear USB adapter the analysers are saying its only 25% connection, NOT GOOD!!)

Nah i'd say wireless adapters are more or less reliable, their just not that safe, due to people being able to hack onto your net connection and consuming your bandwidth, they can be unreliable due to interference from other peices of equipment in your house like TVs etc, like changing voltages through the signal helps this but increases its range, using MAC filtering helps by disabling certain computer and using some form of encryption helps too.

Feel free to email me directly if you like I know a fair amount to this stuff with being a Computing student at Leeds Metropolitan University and having used and setup a router and network connections for my dad haha!!