Hall to sell shares?

Paulie Walnuts

couple of things to add.

years ago (early 90's) we tried to get  "the fans" to buy into the club originally, there was a share bond thingy and iirc was 1k at a time and they ended up with a very poor response, so it was shelved.  Few months later SJH took over.

SJH and shep have other things on the go and tbh nufc money is small fry compared to what their other investments bring in.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind knowing if Mick is aware of this. If he was a fan at the time, he most certainly would have been.

I did know of this and I was one of the 50% or so who were required to make a pledge who actually did it, were you?

so you actually sent a cheque off?

well done

I can't remember the exact details of it but I was going to give the minimum amount they were after because that's all I could afford at the time, it was either £250 or £500, I think.

Also, what do you have to say about bob pointing out that the club had already tried your suggestion ? And what is your opinion on the reason for it crashing so badly ?

The recession.

Guest bobjonson

Also, what do you have to say about bob pointing out that the club had already tried your suggestion ? And what is your opinion on the reason for it crashing so badly ?

The recession.

dont think so?

early 90's?

Did you ? Perhaps you can tell us what the minimum investment was then ? And it wasn't the 3k that bob says.

I can't remember the minimum investment, I think it was £250 or £500, it was a long time ago.

I have no idea why it failed as I can only speak for myself, not others.  Maybe they didn't think it would come off, maybe people couldn't afford to pay up, I don't know the answer and niether do you.

couple of things to add.

years ago (early 90's) we tried to get  "the fans" to buy into the club originally, there was a share bond thingy and iirc was 1k at a time and they ended up with a very poor response, so it was shelved.  Few months later SJH took over.

SJH and shep have other things on the go and tbh nufc money is small fry compared to what their other investments bring in.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind knowing if Mick is aware of this. If he was a fan at the time, he most certainly would have been.

I did know of this and I was one of the 50% or so who were required to make a pledge who actually did it, were you?

well done

I can't remember the exact details of it but I was going to give the minimum amount they were after because that's all I could afford at the time, it was either £250 or £500, I think.

250 quid in the early 90's ???   :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do know the answer. The answer is that the club was getting crap crowds, and far from the 52,000 (that its "always" had) hardly anybody gave a shite about the football club.

Call yourself a fan, you should have known this. It was cancelled due to lack of interest. Yours included, probably.

couple of things to add.

well done

I've already said that I can't remember the exact figure, they weren't looking for a lot of money, it was at a time when Sir John bought the club for about £3 million.

Guest bobjonson

couple of things to add.

well done

my memory is crap but I'm sure it was around end of 90- 91 this came about, may have been a bit later?

anyway, I thought the mim was 1k, but maybe that was a bit high.

The recession.

dont think so?

early 90's?

Do you mean the early 90s when Britain was in the last major recession, or some other early 90s?

The recession of the early 90s hit small businesses hard. In 1992 9,000 businesses went into receivership, compared to 1,100 last year. Voluntary liquidations peaked at 14,000 then, compared to just 9,000 in 2000.

Source: http://www.startups.co.uk/How_to_survive_a_recession.YUxKI4loHWUGSg.html

couple of things to add.

well done

my memory is crap but I'm sure it was around end of 90- 91 this came about, may have been a bit later?

It was 100 quid mate. I still have my letter asking if I would let them keep it because they needed it so badly.

Guest bobjonson

couple of things to add.

well done

It was 100 quid mate. I still have my letter asking if I would let them keep it because they needed it so badly.

I was always crap at sums like tongue.gif

The two words that I picked up on were hedge fund.

I've seen discussions about them in the past, basically they seem to be instant moneymakers and asset strippers rather than investors for the future if I recall correctly.  There should be people her more qualified than me on economics/big business matters but the impression I gained was that ownership of the club by a company of that nature would not be necessarily beneficial if you're looking for progress.  Why have a Michael Owen when you can have a Shola Ameobi and £15m in the bank?

Do u think Ameobi is a worse player than the arrogant Egyptian or the polish shit you had upfront?

People like you exists on our boards to enjoy taking cheap shots on our players, our management, even our future transfers or future money invested in our club..

If you care to read it again, you'll see I'm not taking cheap shots at the players, management or structure, simply voicing concern over the nature of the potential buyers, a concern subsequently shared by a number of your fellow fans.  If you are unable to comprehend the distinction between the two without your brain aching, you have my deepest sympathy.  I wouldn't wish that affliction on anybody.

The recession.

Try again.

Is this takeover what you dreamed of, if it happened ? Anyone but Shepherd. Do you think it would be better for the club ?

The recession.

dont think so?

early 90's?

Do you mean the early 90s when Britain was in the last major recession, or some other early 90s?

The recession of the early 90s hit small businesses hard. In 1992 9,000 businesses went into receivership, compared to 1,100 last year. Voluntary liquidations peaked at 14,000 then, compared to just 9,000 in 2000.

Source: http://www.startups.co.uk/How_to_survive_a_recession.YUxKI4loHWUGSg.html

he might mean a recession that lasted only in the Newcastle area from the end of the 1950's until 1992 ?

The recession.

Try again.

Is this takeover what you dreamed of, if it happened ? Anyone but Shepherd. Do you think it would be better for the club ?

So the country being in recession between 1990 and 1992 wouldn't have had anything to do with people not buying into the club?  I guess that the state of the country at the time doesn't fit with your argument.

Here's a graph to highlight just what happens during recession.  For your benefit GDP is what is produced within this country, if we're not producing then people are not working.  If people are not working they don't get paid.  If they don't get paid they don't buy things, lesson over.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3505/economicgrowth161kq.th.gif

The recession.

dont think so?

early 90's?

he might mean a recession that lasted only in the Newcastle area from the end of the 1950's until 1992 ?

No, I think you'll find that he meant a national recession which happened at the same time as a global recession.

The amount of negative opinions you had on these boards to every nufc related topic is beyond belief!

Ameobi has nothing to do with any future investment in our club. He is a squad player who plays his heart out for this club. Your arrogance and ignorance are the two faces u have shown here since you joined this forum.

Sympathy to me! thanx spurs fan! one more cheap shot to a nufc fan, it seems this is your personal style in life.

Eh?

Guest dr_football

The two words that I picked up on were hedge fund.

I've seen discussions about them in the past, basically they seem to be instant moneymakers and asset strippers rather than investors for the future if I recall correctly.  There should be people her more qualified than me on economics/big business matters but the impression I gained was that ownership of the club by a company of that nature would not be necessarily beneficial if you're looking for progress.  Why have a Michael Owen when you can have a Shola Ameobi and £15m in the bank?

Do u think Ameobi is a worse player than the arrogant Egyptian or the polish shit you had upfront?

People like you exists on our boards to enjoy taking cheap shots on our players, our management, even our future transfers or future money invested in our club..

If you care to read it again, you'll see I'm not taking cheap shots at the players, management or structure, simply voicing concern over the nature of the potential buyers, a concern subsequently shared by a number of your fellow fans.  If you are unable to comprehend the distinction between the two without your brain aching, you have my deepest sympathy.  I wouldn't wish that affliction on anybody.

The amount of negative opinions you had on these boards to every nufc related topic is beyond belief!

Ameobi has nothing to do with any future investment in our club. He is a squad player who plays his heart out for this club. Your arrogance and ignorance are the two faces u have shown here since you joined this forum.

Sympathy to me! thanx spurs fan! one more cheap shot to a nufc fan, it seems this is your personal style in life.

He's posting towards Martin Jol, Mick. He should quote him really.

He did quote him, it was just me jumping the gun.  bluelaugh.gif

I did that to Bluf one night, I deleted all of my posts which he'd replied to and he looked a bit daft afterwards.

The recession.

Try again.

Try working it out from what I've already posted, I'm not going to spell it out for you.

The recession.

dont think so?

early 90's?

History not your striong point NE5?

What is your strong point, by the way?

Guest bobjonson

sjh is saying he has been approached to sell his shares, statement being read out on ssn.

not saying out else really other than no decision has been made one way or other

Guest bobjonson

Newcastle have confirmed to the Stock Exchange that majority shareholder Sir John Hall has been approached to sell his stake in the club.

Hall, who paid an estimated £3m to take charge of the club in 1991, stepped down as chairman in 1997.

Weekend newspaper reports suggested an American backed consortium had been working on a buy-out proposal.

A club statment said an approach had been received "which may or may not lead to the disposal of the stake."

RNS Number:7798E

Newcastle United PLC

19 June 2006

18th June 2006

Newcastle United PLC

Statement re: press speculation

The Board of Newcastle United PLC notes recent press speculation and confirms

that it has today been informed by Sir John Hall representing Wynyard (Guernsey)

Limited, which owns approximately 28.8% of Newcastle United PLC, that it has

received expressions of interest to acquire its shareholding, which may or may

not lead to the disposal of its stake.

A further announcement will be made if appropriate.

This information is provided by RNS

The company news service from the London Stock Exchange

END