Blackadder.

BlufPurdi

Do you like Blackadder?   

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Blackadder?

• Yes, great.
    • No, crap.
    • Haven't seen it, but probably rubbish.
    • Haven't seen it, but want to.
    • Like it, but overrated.

Just sat here watching 'Goes Forth.  You don't get a better comedy really, as for the series it is impeccable.

First series was seriously suspect, but that was written by Curtis and Atkinson himself, the rest seemed to have the Elton touch about them.  Shame really, can't stand Ben Elton, but he clearly, at-least then, had some comedy talent. 

The Blackadder:  Actually enjoyed this series, despite it's inadequacies.  Brian Blessed is a God and a few cameos from Peter Cook seriously enhance the series.  Not to mention the first of frequent appearances of Rik Mayall.  Comedy legend, him.  Overall 7/10

Blackadder II: Can't have a word said against it really.  Loved it.  Loved Queen Elizabeth, Melchiot making their initial appearances, Miranda Richardson and Stephan Fry respectively.  Tom McInnerny coming into his role something rotten (that's good here).  Honorary mention to Tony Robinson, legendary as always.  Highlights from this series are another appearance from Rik Mayall in the first episode.  "Flash by name, Flash by nature."  Not to mention off screen reports of him absolutely owning the joint when he was there, ad-living (I think that's the actor term) the whole thing.  You notice it, he launches Percy right through the doors which snap, comically.  Not to mention the Hugh Laurie cameo at the end of the series. Overall 9/10

Blackadder the Third: My soft spot favourite, if you know what I'm getting at.  I know it ain't the best one, but I probably watch this the most.  Cameos from Robbie Coltrane are great.  Sadly no Stephan Fry here, but High Laurie to take his place.  Great as the Prince, amazing.  Overall 8/10

Blackadder Goes Forth:  Ever been a better comedy series?  Seriously.  The word 'immaculate' has never been so prominent.  From beginning to end, just genius.  I would have to truly say it's perfect comedy.  Cameos from Rik Mayall, Geoffrey Palmer, Miranda Richardson and good old Bob.  What can I say?  Overall 10/10

Any other fans?  If not, why not?  If you claim to like comedy, then you will like this, and probably haven't given a true chance.

Please vote, then discuss.

absolutely love the programme. my brother used to like when i was little and i hated it cos i never got the jokes. recently i've seen it again and it is probably in my top 2 or 3 favourite comedies. haven't seen much of the first series, or the last one tbh. but i have the others. favourite episode is the one with Samuel Johnson, just thinking of Robbie Coltrane shouting "sausage? SAUSAGE!!??" makes me smile. but the queen elizabeth series is my favourite overall, love the episode where his puritanical relatives visit, at the same time as the queen and his drinking competition.

Aye, that's the Robbie Coltrane one.  As if I needed to tell you that, can't mistake the bloke.  One of my favourites, if not thee favourite.  At the end, furious with Baldrick saying 'sausage'.  Something incredible about a fat man screaming sausage.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I prefer the Kumars tbh

bluewink.gif

Aye, that's the Robbie Coltrane one.  As if I needed to tell you that, can't mistake the bloke.  One of my favourites, if not thee favourite.  At the end, furious with Baldrick saying 'sausage'.  Something incredible about a fat man screaming sausage.

snap. look at me edit  blueyes.gif

Ach.  Sorry mate. 

On the same wave length.  I'm about to put on series 3, just on the last episode of series 4. 

I was like you, as a kid, when me sisters watched it I didn't know what all the fuss was about.  As I've got older, just can't get enough.

Up there with Fawlty Towers for me, which I have always held on sacred ground.

for me it's either the Day Today or Brass Eye, love them

love both of them. the bit where they start a war between hong kong and australia and when brian o'hanrahanrahanrahan lied about speaking to the german finance minister are hilarious.

brass eye though is legendary. ""The broadcaster and entertainer Clive Anderson has been shot dead, by television host Noel Edmonds at his house in Cornwall this evening."  bluebiggrin.gif

Oh, not disputing them as great.  Talking about Sit'-Coms here though, more specifically Blackadder.  Which I truly think is one of thee best comedies.  Just the intelligence in it, need to watch the whole lot to see what I mean, but it's just so well thought out.

To say intelligence in it seems weird, because a lot of it seems stupid, but put in the context of the times they are portraying, it's superb.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

for all the complex satire and clever stuff Chris Morris has done, my favourite thing he did was Fur Q - Uzi Lover, piss meself every time I watch that. And JL -  B8, the creater of "nu-ass" music.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

yeah we seem to have a few similiar tastes be it pasta or Blackadder, I'll see if I can get hold of some of the series

alan partridge is probably my favourite sit-com along with blackadder.

talking to the RTE producers from Dublin: "sunday bloody sunday. it really captures the mood of a sunday doesn't it? you get up, you have to read all the papers, the kids are running round and you think 'sunday bloody sunday'"

Thought 'The Black Adder' and Blackadder II are probably the best Sit Coms that this country have ever produced.  Have never been able to get away with 3 and 4 though......

*Chris Morris' The Day Today and Brass Eye are the best comedy that Britain has produced in decades as well.  Black Books is also very good.

How can anyone not have seen much Blackadder? In the top 5 sitcoms of all time, without doubt.

'Corporal Punishment' was on the other night. Tony Robinson delivers one of the funniest lines in the series with one word and superb timing:

George: I call... Private Baldrick!

Blackadder: Deny everything Baldrick.

(Baldrick nods and takes the stand)

George: You are Private Baldrick?

Baldrick: NO!

Guest Welsh_Geordie

How can anyone not have seen much Blackadder? In the top 5 sitcoms of all time, without doubt.

'Corporal Punishment' was on the other night. Tony Robinson delivers one of the funniest lines in the series with one word and superb timing:

yeah thats one of my favourite episodes ever!! the gabbling firing squad instructor is legend bluelaugh.gif

Guest Papa Lazaru

yeah thats one of my favourite episodes ever!! the gabbling firing squad instructor is legend bluelaugh.gif

Readyaimfire!!!!!

Was talk of a fifth series maybe.  Set in the 60s.  Was only discussed nothing concrete.  That and a film.  Was in a Rowan Atkinson interview about a year and a half ago. 

If anyone hasn't seen it I wouldn't suggest watching the first series first.  Completely different from the rest, still good, but could give you a perception of it that you don't like.  Second would be best, first.  Though I reckon Goes Forth is the best series.

I love third.  George learning to 'emit a rrroar'

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Unaccustommed as I am to giving speeches..."

But Forth is the best series.  Funny as owt.  "Wibble" bluelaugh.gif

The ending of that series is probably my most memorable bit of British television too.  No credits, just a fade to poppy fields.  Sad and Superb.

Guest Papa Lazaru

I love third.  George learning to 'emit a rrroar'

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Unaccustommed as I am to giving speeches..."

But Forth is the best series.  Funny as owt.  "Wibble" bluelaugh.gif

The ending of that series is probably my most memorable bit of British television too.  No credits, just a fade to poppy fields.  Sad and Superb.

Totally agree. An amazing comedy series that has with a truly upsetting end that wasn't expected and really affected people who watched it.