Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

11 hours ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Owen, Andy Carroll? Colback got a call up but don't think he played?

Carroll just got the one cap with us.

Colback was called up once shortly after signing but withdrew due to injury. Not long before that STaylor was called up but didn't play.

20 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

He was never a model professional but never got the hate either. I was at Watford away, his last game, he scored in a 1-1 and got booed all game like I've never seen a player for us get booed. 

I always remember a game against Norwich, was a midweek home game, we went 2-0 up and they fought back for a draw, Dyer's performance was one of the worst I ever saw in a Newcastle shirt, it almost had to be seen to be believed how shit he was. He got absolute pelters when he went off.

14 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I always remember a game against Norwich, was a midweek home game, we went 2-0 up and they fought back for a draw, Dyer's performance was one of the worst I ever saw in a Newcastle shirt, it almost had to be seen to be believed how shit he was. He got absolute pelters when he went off.

Subsequently booed appearing for England v Ukraine at SJP? (Wright-Phillips debut goal?) 

Still remember him having that half decent couple of months under Souness, him getting an £80k a week contract back when that was astronomical and watching our first game of the season against Man United at home (Luque's debut), the ball being played out to him on the left wing and it just trickling under his foot and out for a throw in. Just remember me and my mate more or less simultaneously saying '80 grand a week'

3 hours ago, Wullie said:

Think that was one of Bobby's last home games? Possibly his last.

Great player, might have been a decent person or a dick but I don't care as long as they do it on the pitch. Would have been up there with the best of he could shoot properly.

Shame Dyer was a replacement for Hamman when I'd like to have had both at the club.

Went under the radar but I always thought Solano was the one who caused more problems for Robson. As soon as his place was in doubt, stories started coming out about having to leave for his family who were down South rather than fight for his place. Strange as he didn't have the same problems when he was past it and came back a second time. Goes to show the benefit of having the Chronicle onside.

Dyer was class and would hands down be our best player of the last 15 years. Could carry a ball 50-60 yards up the pitch effortlessly, linked well with Speed, Bellamy, Robert, Solano, Jenas & Shearer. Aye his goal return wasn’t great but he had ability and was huge for us. I’ve no doubt either that had Shearer, Cort & Dyer not missed big chunks of the 00/01 season we’d have been around 7th that season too.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Dyer was an overrated runner in my opinion like. Not too dissimilar to a Walcott or such like. Was used correctly and massively effective for us, but he doesn't even bare comparison with a Solano (for example) for me when it comes to footballing ability and awareness, etc. 

Unpopular opinion more than likely. 

Edited by Heron

Dyer was superb for us. When him, Robert and Solano were firing on all cylinders we were a very good team.

Bobby’s team had so many different threats be it the sheer breakneck pace of Dyer, the intelligence and sweet, sweet right foot of Solano, the power and directness of Robert, the brute force and never-say-die-attitude of Shearer combined with Bellamy’s tenacity. Fucking hell I miss those days. 

Dyer on his day was unplayable, but his attitude and his fitness curtailed what should have been a stellar career for him. He was helped massively in that he was in with a great bunch of players that complimented his game and likewise he did to their game, and of course a great manager in Sir Bobby. He was an arsehole off the pitch from those I know who personally dealt with him/had the experience of being in his company once or twice, but he was young, rich and obviously naive. He seems to have had a troubled life outside of football though and doesn’t seem a bad guy, so I wish him well and overall, he was a good player for us and at a good time for the club, team and us fans where we were competing at the highest level and that was down to the likes of him.