Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

What's it going to acheive? 

What is taking the knee acheiving?

Clearly, racism is disgusting, but these things just seem like gimmicks to make it look like people are doing something about it

Surely it's more about educating youngsters at this point.

Let's be honest, i'm 31 and was i ever racist at school? Yes i was at times, ashamed to say, but it was just seen as normal, but when you are like 14, you feel like you don't give a fuck.

Thankfully, i've learned that i was wrong, but not everyone does.

How do we educate properly from a young age?

Edited by ToonArmy1892

13 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

What's it going to acheive? 

What is taking the knee acheiving?

Clearly, racism is disgusting, but these things just seem like gimmicks to make it look like people are doing something about it

Surely it's more about educating youngsters at this point.

Let's be honest, i'm 31 and was i ever racist at school? Yes i was at times, ashamed to say, but it was just seen as normal, but when you are like 14, you feel like you don't give a fuck.

Thankfully, i've learned that i was wrong, but not everyone does.

How do we educate properly from a young age?

It's pushed the conversation on and has kept it going. For me keep it going until another action takes its place.

PS it's also worth it for just winding up my father in law and gammon at work.

Mistake their making is thinking their interesting enough to be missed. Surely only little kids and the easily entertained simpletons of the world are at all bothered what they have to say.

Barely use social media anymore, but when I did I wouldn’t be paying attention to what footballers and official accounts were saying anyway.

Joey Barton used to be good value back in the day, but their all just sanitised extensions of whatever media team they’ve got at their clubs. 

Most of the screenshots of all the monkey emojis I’ve seen flying around lately have been coming from foreign based accounts. Bored of hearing England has a problem with racism in 2021 - can never, and will never legislate for a pissed up moron, but there must be a minuscule section of society who is vocally racists. 

Edited by Abra Dubravka

I don't want to sound too simplistic, but taking a knee, or similar, isn't going to stop a racist person from being racist.

People will say it's raising awareness, raising awareness of what? People being racist? We already know that.

I don't know what the answer is, but these 'actions' certainly aren't solving anything imo, seems more like something the media can point to to pretend they care.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

4 minutes ago, Abra Dubravka said:

Mistake their making is thinking their interesting enough to be missed. Surely only little kids and the easily entertained simpletons of the world are at all bothered what they have to say.

Barely use social media anymore, but when I did I wouldn’t be paying attention to what footballers and official accounts were saying anyway.

Joey Barton used to be good value back in the day, but their all just sanitised extensions of whatever media team they’ve got at their clubs. 

Most of the screenshots of all the monkey emojis I’ve seen flying around lately have been coming from foreign based accounts. Bored of hearing England has a problem with racism in 2021 - can never, and will never legislate for a pissed up moron, but there must be a minuscule section of society who is vocally racists. 

Could be that that type of overt  racism has moved from the ground to Social media.

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I don't want to sound too simplistic, but taking a knee, or similar, isn't going to stop a racist person from being racist.

People will say it's raising awareness, rasing awareness of what? People being racist? We already know that.

I don't know what the answer is, but these 'actions' certainly aren't.

What is the point in any protest then ?

Was it worth Colin Kaepernick doing it in the first place ?

I think people in football want anonymity on social media removed and they think things like this will pressure the companies. I rarely see them acknowledge the wider subject of internet anonymity though. It’s a big topic that goes way beyond footballers being abused.

I’m assuming that’s what they want, it often comes up and I can’t see what other aim they have.

10 minutes ago, madras said:

What is the point in any protest then ?

Was it worth Colin Kaepernick doing it in the first place ?

I'm not really knocking the protest, it's totally fair enough if people think taking a knee is doing something, i'm just not sure it is.

5 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I'm not really knocking the protest, it's totally fair enough if people think taking a knee is doing something, i'm just not sure it is.

Like I say it pushed the conversation. If it just stops then the conversation will drift away.......and it pisses my father in law off.

honestly I'm not sure football by itself can really do anything to stop this shit happening on social media and clearly the companies have no interest in doing anything so it will take legislation to force them to do something, that or we could just ban them all, would anything of real value be lost? 

How can you really legislate beyond existing laws within the country against brainless idiots sending messages across an app though? 

It’s a horrible situation, but your always going to have scum in the world who will think it’s harmless and edgy to send racist crap across social media. Just as you’ll always have people people do any other immoral action and unlawful action.

You can’t expect Instagram to legislate for someone thinking their edgy and clever sending Paul Pogba a cartoon emoji of a monkey can you. 

Ian Wright got sent a deluge of guff by some child in Ireland and authorities duly dealt with it through laws of the land. You can’t have some internet Police and a different set of laws everyone across worldwide. Respective countries need to address it. 

Personally, I’d really question why any professional footballer needs a public Instagram or Twitter account anyway, beyond furthering their own ‘brand’.

If social media abuse was an horrible issue to certain players, I’d really question their morals and ask why their keeping themselves on there for. 

Clearly it’s worth the hassle so they can grow however many million followers. Check your ego and vanity, and leave it down to the club your playing for to post you all over their own official accounts. If they have foundations or what Rashford is up too, set up specific accounts for that.

Edited by Abra Dubravka

4 minutes ago, Abra Dubravka said:

How can you really legislate beyond existing laws within the country against brainless idiots sending messages across an app though? 

It’s a horrible situation, but your always going to have scum in the world who will think it’s harmless and edgy to send racist crap across social media. Just as you’ll always have people people do any other immoral action and unlawful action.

You can’t expect Instagram to legislate for someone thinking their edgy and clever sending Paul Pogba a cartoon emoji of a monkey can you. 

Ian Wright got sent a deluge of guff by some child in Ireland and authorities duly dealt with it through laws of the land. You can’t have some internet Police and a different set of laws everyone across worldwide. Respective countries need to address it. 

Personally, I’d really question why any professional footballer needs a public Instagram or Twitter account anyway, beyond furthering their own ‘brand’.

If social media abuse was an horrible issue to certain players, I’d really question their morals and ask why their keeping themselves on there for. 

Clearly it’s worth the hassle so they can grow however many million followers. Check your ego and vanity, and leave it down to the club your playing for to post you all over their own official accounts. If they have foundations or what Rashford is up too, set up specific accounts for that.

thats the exact reason, more and larger sponsorship deals can be gotten with a large social media presence, personally if I was a footballer I'd just pay someone else to handle it and never ever look at it myself, preferably someone who might actually watch the matches unlike a certain former england goalkeeper 

18 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

thats the exact reason, more and larger sponsorship deals can be gotten with a large social media presence, personally if I was a footballer I'd just pay someone else to handle it and never ever look at it myself, preferably someone who might actually watch the matches unlike a certain former england goalkeeper 

Can’t remember last time I’ve looked at a footballers Instagram or Twitter, but I can picture the stuff on there - generic training and match day snaps, padded out with them trying to show how great their life is. Footballers don’t seem to be interesting people I’d invest my time reading about or watching - but that’s just me.

It’s a constant machine of increasing and maintaining their global popularity, and they are expecting everyone at the same time to be nice to them. The world simply doesn’t work like that. Your always going to have brainless twats taking a pop or trying to knock you down.

Not condoning any such abuse or excusing for what it is, but personally I don’t even think they are racist in the sense of deep lying hatred for X type of person that shapes who they are and daily life, they are just cowardice simpletons. They no right from wrong, and wouldn’t dream of projecting racial abuse in person or even in public to these players/people - yet think sending crap on Instagram isn’t going to get seen and is harmless, easy for me to say but their just retards in the definition sense of the word.

Edited by Abra Dubravka

Guest neesy111

Remember, these football clubs and players are using these social media platforms as free advertising and marketing for their own purposes on them.  So they can't go on like it's a 1 way street here, they are getting a lot of these platforms without paying much for it.

Yes, social media companies should be doing a lot more especially when Facebook is concerned (with it owning Instagram) and the resources it has but Twitter has hardly made a profit since it's existence and couldn't afford to hire 1000's of more content providers, it's a business at the end of the day.

I'd argue, a part of the reason is football and footballers using these platforms extensively that's brought the racist idiots that follow the sport onto them it etc.  Same way which Trump did to the far right wing base.

Mind, some simple measures would stop some of this.  Stop comments, DM's etc.

Think people are being overly cynical (and I’m the most cynical person I know) and missing the point in that football is uniting against SM for the 1st time. This Is hopefully the start and will pressure SM platforms in to taking more action. If not expect more protesting and continued pressure. 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Think people are being overly cynical (and I’m the most cynical person I know) and missing the point in that football is uniting against SM for the 1st time. This Is hopefully the start and will pressure SM platforms in to taking more action. If not expect more protesting and continued pressure. 

But then what happens after that?  You're not getting to the route cause of the problem which is education of these people etc of racism etc.  Yeah, it might not be on social media anymore because you've blocked it all but those people are still going to have the same views etc.  Guessing that is more of a society problem.

5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I’ll give you an even more cynical take. Football and the media platforms are run by billionaires with similar political and economic interests. They’re already on the same page. This will be used to end the days of anonymity on Twitter and everybody will be required to register an account with their ID card / finger prints / soul. In the years following, the trend will continue across other platforms, putting an end to the Wild West days of the Internet. It’s about exerting further control over public discussion.

4 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

But then what happens after that?  You're not getting to the route cause of the problem which is education of these people etc of racism etc.  Yeah, it might not be on social media anymore because you've blocked it all but those people are still going to have the same views etc.  Guessing that is more of a society problem.

It’s a 100% a society problem, with footballers being high profile targets usually by kids/teens who are trolling without any fear of consequences. There’s a lot of it atm probably because they are bored. Until your identity is recorded by SM platforms then it will continue, it’s up to the platforms to make them less anon and account more accountable for their posts.

Even education isn’t going to resolve it unless this is done. The kids doing it IRL wouldn’t be like this, wouldn’t hold these views but turn in to something else when they can say something without any implications coming their way. Take that mask of secrecy from them and the government imposing greater consequences for racial abuse in the online world and then it drops and where an education drive might be successful. Guess I’m saying you need both for this to work.

7 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

I’ll give you an even more cynical take. Football and the media platforms are run by billionaires with similar political and economic interests. They’re already on the same page. This will be used to end the days of anonymity on Twitter and everybody will be required to register an account with their ID card / finger prints / soul. In the years following, the trend will continue across other platforms, putting an end to the Wild West days of the Internet. It’s about exerting further control over public discussion.

I’d be happy with that.

It’s always a knobhead shouting freedom of speech like it gives them the right to be a cunt for the sake of it.