Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

It’s never going to achieve anything but that’s not really the issue. If they want to continue doing it they should by all means.

A year ago it seemed to be more than the empty gesture it’s become.

I agree that the internet should be regulated to a degree, in that I mean, why not have a digital passport to sign up for things?

It would go a long way to stopping idiots making racist comments online, nonces would have to stop noncing, scammers would have no place to hide and people would generally have to be a little bit nicer in their interactions with others. How can that be a bad thing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

This could easily go in the social media thread, but what do people make of ID requirements to be able to open a social media account?

As someone who doesn't use it anymore, I think it is the only way to hold people accountable on them platforms.

Obviously the trolls will probably still be racist or aggressive in their little bubbles in real life.

Its needed but social media websites don't exactly have a good reputation when it comes to securing data.

Wasnt it the other month when over a billion social media profiles were for sale?

It reminds me of when I was a kid. Videos came out and some parents didn't have a problem with letting their 11 year olds watch a video nasty, and some wouldn't entertain the idea. The ones with strict parents couldn't get involved in talks about the film but they weren't ostracised entirely, just a little uncool. I can empathise with the parents on social media, although I'd rather I didn't have to.

Something struck me, when hearing that Marcus Rashford wrote a book to encourage young kids to read. 

I've long been a believer that the ego isn't the evil that it is painted as and this proves it. You need some ego to think people will learn to read just so they can read your book, but it is wholly justified. People will and he knows that. He doesn't just believe it, because it is true.

The ego can lead to self destruction if you believe your own press, but as a guide and inspiration to the best you can be, it's not a bad thing to have. It's nice to see, not just Rashford, but the entire squad, demonstrating the latter more than the other. It's so refreshing after the 'golden generation' who put me off international football, i thought, for life.

Guest HTT II

Something needs done with social media as it’s full of hate towards any minority section of society.

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

This could easily go in the social media thread, but what do people make of ID requirements to be able to open a social media account?

It all sounds nice and rosy if we imagine our governments wouldn't also target people critical of it with that information. I mean we _just_ had Trump and honestly half the internet would be locked up for threats against a foreign leader at this point :lol: Or imagine his administration getting to redefine what hate speech is and isn't. 

Hate isn't a problem exclusive to social media. Anonymity of speech online isn't a shield just for the worst of us. 

Edited by thomas

I've said it a hundred times, social media is an echo chamber of bad takes, partizan hacks and unfiltered diarrhea of written thought. For the most part I stay as clear as possible from it.

Mostly, people are decent and want to be left alone without extreme ideologies forced on them from either side of the now monochrome political "spectrum". Social media has wrecked society by giving a voice to the most extreme and making your average Joe believe the world has gone to pot.

Idiots are idiots and should be punished and not be able to hide behind anonymity. In the same breath it's foolish and naive to paint demographics/societies a certain way because of the actions of a few.