Pointless threads will result in restriction of access

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

After a spate of pointless threads over the past few days we've decided to implement a feature of this new forum to hopefully cut them out and to maintain decent levels of discussions. This new feature being restriction of access.

Members who continue to post pointless threads will have the ability to post a thread taken away from them for a number of days/weeks etc.

Every other feature of the forum will be available to use like replying to threads, using PM etc. but the ability to start a new thread will not.

As everyone knows, we suffer downtime on the forum due to a large number of people using it, if our bandwidth is to be used, we'd prefer it to be used on topics to or pertaining to Newcastle United related issues and not on pointless topics like the ones that have been posted recently which only serve to deteriorate the level of discussion and fill the forum with Spam. Meaning those who come here to talk about NUFC and football in general have to sift through a ton of crap.

This is harsh aye, but people are free to use other forums, we are not forcing anyone to use this board and if people are genuine members of the forum who want to contribute and discuss NUFC or footballing issues in a reasonably intelligent manner with like minded people then that's the type of people we want eating up our bandwidth and using the forum.

99% of this forum has nothing to worry about as the vast majority don't post pointless threads and by pointless I mean this for example:

Topic Title: "LUQUE EXCLUSIVE IN TRAINING WITH NEWCASTLE SHIRT"

Thread: A bad photoshop job pic of Luque wearing what looks like a Darlington top.

Guest Howaythetoon

bye bye cobh ramblers bluebiggrin.gif

Not really, and this isn't about pointing fingers either so lets not do that.

Nobody is history so long as they respect a few house guidelines.

So why not get rid of general chat?

That's pointless bollocks with nothing to do with football. Afterall this is a footie forum not a nannas tea party.

Would this not help on bandwidth?

Could you not also delete any topic or thread older than say 3 months? Would this not help?

Guest Howaythetoon

That's pointless bollocks with nothing to do with football. Afterall this is a footie forum not a nannas tea party.

Could you not also delete any topic or thread older than say 3 months? Would this not help?

The NUFC forum is for NUFC or football related discussions, not pointless Spam type posts. The general chat forum is the forum for, well anything really - including pointless Spam type threads. In fact, in that forum nothing is pointless because it's a forum for anything as stated. The two are very different and you have misread the bandwidth comment too. It wasn't meant to read 'if we cut out pointless threads we save on bandwidth'.

What I'm saying is I'd prefer it if people posted pointless crap on someone elses bandwidth and not ours. The NUFC forum is for NUFC and football related topics for people who want to discuss those issues not the "Pointless forum" for people who want to discuss pointless issues.

The NUFC forum is for NUFC or football related discussions, not pointless Spam type posts. The general chat forum is the forum for, well anything really - including pointless Spam type threads. In fact, in that forum nothing is pointless because it's a forum for anything as stated. The two are very different and you have misread the bandwidth comment too. It wasn't meant to read 'if we cut out pointless threads we save on bandwidth'.

What I'm saying is I'd prefer it if people posted pointless crap on someone elses bandwidth and not ours. The NUFC forum is for NUFC and football related topics for people who want to discuss those issues not the "Pointless forum" for people who want to discuss pointless issues.

Which is fair enough.

I was just trying to offer some suggestions, i don't really know how the bbandwitdh situation works but thought they might help.

Guest Howaythetoon

I have as much a clue as you regarding bandwidth mate. All I know is that we need topped up in that sense, that along with some RAM and disk space (I think).

I have as much a clue as you regarding bandwidth mate. All I know is that we need topped up in that sense, that along with some RAM and disk space (I think).

Well i tell you what, i'll get my dad to come and have a look at the site. He designs websites, but mainly his job is to reduce websites in size, so they load quicker. He's a toon fan and i'll get him to register n take a look. Every page he goes on online he can't help pulling apart because the scripting it wrong and is running round in circles.

Is this a template, so you cannot change anything or was it made by yourself or one of the other mods?

Well i tell you what, i'll get my dad to come and have a look at the site. He designs websites, but mainly his job is to reduce websites in size, so they load quicker. He's a toon fan and i'll get him to register n take a look. Every page he goes on online he can't help pulling apart because the scripting it wrong and is running round in circles.

Is this a template, so you cannot change anything or was it made by yourself or one of the other mods?

Even if it did affect the bandwith i don't think thats the point! to make this a better forum we need to stop all the sh*te pointless threads!

Guest Howaythetoon

The design is our own, well I designed it. I know it contains a lot of uneeded code and could be reduced in size quite a bit but that wouldn't make such a difference to justify opening up thousands of pages and 'cleaning' them up. We know what we need, a server upgrade.

But any advice or help is welcome so tell your dad to have a look, aye cheers.

lets say i am thinking of writing a large NUFC spoof. Do i post it here, in general chat or not at all?

The rules regarding where threads should be posted are just the same as before; if it's relevant to NUFC, or just football in general, it goes in here. If it isn't; it goes in either General chat, or one of the other sections, depending on what it is.

Guest Howaythetoon

Taylor27, your posts are OK, in fact needed, good light hearted banter, it's the utter crap we don't want. The really pointless stuff. At least we can while away the minutes chuckling to ourselves at your threads.

Guest thaitoon

so if your accepting humour or attempted humour why was my refferal to milner as a look alike to lee evans deleted, afterall ,as in beauty humor is in the eyes of the beholder  :tongue3:

so if your accepting humour or attempted humour why was my refferal to milner as a look alike to lee evans deleted, afterall ,as in beauty humor is in the eyes of the beholder  :tongue3:

maybe a few pictures to back up your "case" instead of just one line, might of made the thred not so much pointless. or you could of made it a "who do our players look like " thred. with your post being about milner.. just a idea. not sure if that would still class as a pointless thred or not, something different i guess

• 1 year later...
Guest Alan Shearer 9

does this include the mongs who start Ronaldo bumfests saying he's the best player of all time when he clearly fucking isn't?