Shaun Wright-Phillips

TêteDeMaure

United's £10m winger warningJul 14 2006

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Newcastle United will have to find £10m to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan for a season as Chelsea will demand they buy the England international next summer.

The Magpies are sorely tempted by a player who was viewed as the most thrilling wide midfielder in the country when he left Manchester City for Stamford Bridge for £21m last summer, but they will have to make a massive financial commitment to do so.

Wright-Phillips is keen to get away from London after a disastrous first season under Jose Mourinho which saw him fail to hold down a regular first-team place at the Premiership champions and ended with him losing his spot in the England squad on the eve of the World Cup. However, although Chelsea are willing to let the 24-year-old leave and have the apparently limitless backing of Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, they still want to recoup some of their money and are reluctant to allow the winger to leave on loan if there is not going to be a permanent transfer at the end of it.

That will cause some consternation for United chairman Freddie Shepherd, who is willing to back manager Glenn Roeder's interest in the player, but also knows that the need for two new front men is more pressing.

United have just Shola Ameobi to call on as an out-and-out-striker with the Premiership season just over a month away and are likely to spend the vast majority of their transfer budget on new forwards. Their interest in Charlton Athletic's Darren Bent is a firm one, but the £12m asking price is a major deterrent.

----------------------------------------------

£10 million? Is it worth it considering we have no fucker else and seemingly not that much money?

Not sure how credible the story is, or what the £10 million covers, but if it's the transfer fee, then that's a bargain.

A year's loan with option to buy. Although the journal puts it as, MUST buy after a year :s. Perhaps bad journalism. I'll wait to post a link, don't know when things go up on ICNewcastle.

Guest Christian Hayne

perhaps it means with give them 10 million now, and next season we give them around 5 million to join.

however if we have to sign him and he gets badly injured, we could be stuck with him for part of this season coming, an dlonger and we have paid 10 million just to get him on loan.

Guest Christian Hayne

Newcastle, though, may still be willing to gamble on Wright-Phillips as they would not have to find the funds for another 12 months and he is precisely the sort of proven Premiership player Roeder is searching for.

this seems as though that is the asking price, to sign him. so if we take him on loan for for say 2 million, then we only have to pay 8 million next season.

If £10m is the transfer fee then I think he'll prove to be a bargain at that price although I cant help but think there's got to be more to it if it is true such as a fee for the season of something like £5m then £10m next year.

Guest Darth Toon

Problem is, £10million is surely the absolute maximum we have in the transfer budget this summer, so if that is designated for SWP we've got nowt left to spend on a striker.

Either that or we buy a striker as well (say £10 for Defoe) and allocate next season's budget for SWP, in which case we're looking at no more major signings for another 2 years (unless of course we manage to qualify for the CL....)

Guest Gemmill

Why do people even listen to the Journal anymore??  Over the last few weeks they've proven they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

perhaps it means with give them 10 million now, and next season we give them around 5 million to join.

however if we have to sign him and he gets badly injured, we could be stuck with him for part of this season coming, an dlonger and we have paid 10 million just to get him on loan.

Who'd pay 10 mil just to get a player on loan? Probably loan, then an option to buy for 10 mil at the end of it. If thats the case I'll take it.

Guest Geordie Boyo

All though I think the article is a crock of shite, I would agree that SWP's would be a great investment with Nobby getting no younger especially when we've got a young lad around the same age who posses a similar threat on the left-wing it would be ideal.

Do we really need a right-winger that badly?

could be a great investment though

when he played through the middle for man city against us, he was brilliant

£10m winger warning

Jul 14 2006

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Newcastle United will have to find £10m to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan for a season as Chelsea will demand they buy the England international next summer.

The Magpies are sorely tempted by a player who was viewed as the most thrilling wide midfielder in the country when he left Manchester City for Stamford Bridge for £21m last summer, but they will have to make a massive financial commitment to do so.

Wright-Phillips is keen to get away from London after a disastrous first season under Jose Mourinho which saw him fail to hold down a regular first-team place at the Premiership champions and ended with him losing his spot in the England squad on the eve of the World Cup. However, although Chelsea are willing to let the 24-year-old leave and have the apparently limitless backing of Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, they still want to recoup some of their money and are reluctant to allow the winger to leave on loan if there is not going to be a permanent transfer at the end of it.

That will cause some consternation for United chairman Freddie Shepherd, who is willing to back manager Glenn Roeder's interest in the player, but also knows that the need for two new front men is more pressing.

United have just Shola Ameobi to call on as an out-and-out-striker with the Premiership season just over a month away and are likely to spend the vast majority of their transfer budget on new forwards. Their interest in Charlton Athletic's Darren Bent is a firm one, but the £12m asking price is a major deterrent.

Having handed £50m to former manager Graeme Souness and sanctioned the £8.5 signing of Jean-Alain Boumsong and the £9.5m capture of Albert Luque, Shepherd is determined to behave more cautiously in the transfer market.

But Roeder and the club's supporters will be growing increasingly exasperated by the lack of activity as Newcastle's new manager attempts to make the necessary strengthening to a squad which will only be certain of its place in the Uefa Cup if they can get past a tricky-looking two-leg Intertoto Cup tie against Norwegian outfit Lillestr?m.

Newcastle, though, may still be willing to gamble on Wright-Phillips as they would not have to find the funds for another 12 months and he is precisely the sort of proven Premiership player Roeder is searching for.

"I only want players who are not only hungry for success, but absolutely starving," said Roeder in response to reports linking him with an interest in Barcelona's Argentinian midfielder Javier Saviola yesterday.

"I want players who will see a transfer to Newcastle United as a move up and not a move down. I want players who have been in the Premiership who are so upset with their managers for not using them that they will come here with plenty to prove. Don't get me wrong, I love working with great players and it is something I have done in the past and I am doing with Newcastle United at the moment. But they have to be the right players for Newcastle United and our supporters this season."

Lee Clark has admitted Newcastle's season will have been a disastrous one if he is called up for the first team next season.

Clark has been given a player-coaching role by Roeder after he was brought back to his native North-East as a player by former manager Souness last summer.

But, despite making 25 appearances in his beloved black-and-white stripes last season, the 33-year-old hopes the club do not need him at all this time around.

He said: "I'm still registered as a player, but I think it would have to be a disaster for me to be involved in any capacity.

"I've got myself focused on being a coach and at this level it's hard to do two jobs and, after thinking about it, my mindset was that it was too good an opportunity to turn down."

Meanwhile, Bolton chairman Phil Gartside has launched a bitter attack on former Magpies midfielder Dietmar Hamann and Manchester City after the ex-Germany international changed his mind about a move to the Reebok Stadium.

The 32-year-old completed a move to Eastlands this week despite having signed a contract with Bolton following his departure from Liverpool.

Manchester City agreed to pay Bolton £400,000 in compensation but Gartside is still angry.

"I feel very insulted and I think Bolton fans deserve better that that," said Gartside. "For someone like Dietmar Hamann to have treated us the way he has, is absolutely disgraceful."

Guest Geordie Boyo

Even though it's shite. If Roeder is intent on keeping Nobby, and Milner, what makes anyone think that SWP would move from Chelsea's bench to ours? Assuming Roeder wouldn't drop Nobby and put him as first choice.

Saying Milner is a right-winger is like saying Viana's a defensive midfielder, tbh.  bluebigrazz.gif Milner is very much a player all though not with Dyer's pace, but plays in the same kind of role as Dyer supporting the front two in an attacking midfield position. We've been over this many times in the past about how shit Milner's crossing in, it's not his position plain as.

LW

O'Brien

N'Zogbia

CM

Emre

Pattison

DM

Parker

Butt

AM

Dyer

Milner

RW

Solano

?

Guest Gemmill

Q:  When is a loan deal not a loan deal? 

A:  When the Journal makes up a whole heap of shit.  Chelsea will DEMAND that we buy him for £10m at the end of the loan period.  O rly.

Guest TheOrder

At the Roeder talk yesterday, he did dodge a question about SWP and Oliver answered it, he told us that he had spoken to the chairman, and that SWP was not a target at this moment in time.

Guest Armchair Pundit

I'd sign him up if the deal was we had him on a season's loan now, then pay the £10m for him next summer as a transfer. I'd snap their hand off for that, with him being able to play left or right wing he'd be an excellent signing.

I'd sign him up if the deal was we had him on a season's loan now, then pay the £10m for him next summer as a transfer. I'd snap their hand off for that, with him being able to play left or right wing he'd be an excellent signing.

I wonder how good he would be if he played up front, and if he was happy doing that I'd snatch their hands off too

Guest Gemmill

Remember that Birmingham had to buy Nicky Butt if they did not get relegated.

Is that true?  I thought it was more to do with Butt not wanting to join a relegated team on a permanent basis.