Mario Yepes offered - Chronicle

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Apparently, we've been offered Rozehnal's ex-centre half partner Mario Yepes.

The Sunday Sun says PSG have instructed a third party to find a buyer for £1.7 million-rated Colombian international Yepes, whose nickname in his homeland is "El Rey" - The King.

The 31-year-old has been in the French capital since 2004, having made his name at Nantes, but is unsettled after being told he will no longer be a first-team regular at PSG under coach Paul Le Guen.

Yepes, has been linked with Lille and Werder Bremen but would prefer a move to the Premiership.

I reckon he could be a good signing. He and Rozehnal know each other and hopefully he'd prove to be another role-model for Tayls.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I've seen him play for PSG quite a few times with Rozehnal.

They were strong together but Yepes was considerably slower. They are both around the same height but Yepes is much stronger and bulkier.

Still, your looking at a top-class centre back here. But, he's 32 in January.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Cacapa

Taylor

Rozenhal

Yepes???

Bramble

Moore

Taylor

Ramage

Eh?

I watched Argentina Colombia in the Copa America a few weeks ago and Yepes was on the Colombian bench.

He played in Columbia's other games against the USA and Paraguay.

Wouldn't say no but BSA might feel that his efforts are best spent on looking for more long term players because he's already signed Cacapa.

Guest ryunufc

i didnt seen him for 4 years, not until couple months ago. i can remember that he was strong defender, not the quickest but he complemented ivan cordoba. the last time i saw him he is much slower. experienced yes but may end up like pellegrino.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

We need younger players but with the likes of Taylor, Huntington, Edgar and Enrique as our upcoming defensive talent, they can learn a lot from the likes of Cacapa, Yepes and Rozehnal (who is only 27 himself).

His wiki:

Mario Alberto Yepes Díaz (born January 13, 1976 in Cali) is a Colombian football player, currently playing as a central defender for Paris Saint-Germain.

When Mario Yepes started his career with Cortulua, he was playing as a forward before Cortulua's coach converted him to a libero (sweeper). He really started his career in the club of the city where he was born when he was transferred to Deportivo Cali from Cortulua in 1998. He won two Colombian championships with Deportivo Cali. Then Yepes started to become well-known in his country and also abroad. In 1999, he joined CA River Plate, Argentina, where he became a star and won two Argentinian championships. In spite of the fact that several Italian and English clubs wanted to recruit him, he signed for FC Nantes Atlantique in January 2002 where his nickname was “El Rey”. He became one the best central defenders of the French first division and joined Paris Saint-Germain in 2004, where his nickname is "Super Mario" as a reference to his great defensive abilities. He is presently the most highly paid Ligue 1 player, earning 250,000 euros per month. Mario Yepes also plays for the Colombian national team with which he won the Copa America in 2001.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I wonder how recent that highest paid player fact is?

Highest paid player on £42,000 a week ...

Guest Guinness

It would give us good depth at centre back and would reduce the chances of having to bring in some of the younger players who aren't ready yet like we had to last season. If it's for a nominal fee then it could be a good bit of business. A RB and another CB would see us set at the back in terms of depth.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

It would give us good depth at centre back and would reduce the chances of having to bring in some of the younger players who aren't ready yet like we had to last season. If it's for a nominal fee then it could be a good bit of business. A RB and another CB would see us set at the back in terms of depth.

Aye. I still think we should get rid of Ramage and get a new right-back.

Guest SeattleToon

Dominant in the air, strong positionally, but can be beaten for pace. Stick him in the center of defense along with Rozenhal, and I doubt we'll give up too many goals off headers this year.

Guest johnson293

Back page of the Ronnie today

Under the headline... "Super Mario Deal Hitch"

(just seen it on the icnewcastle website - no details yet)

Guest Mr Sands

Being half Colombian, all I can say is that it will be nice to have a Colombian in the team again.

He ain't half bad either.