Man City bid for Henry.

Optimistic Nut

He'd never come here anyway.

Thread closed.

The title says "Man City bid for Henry."

Thread open.

The title says "Man City bid for Henry"

The thread is mostly about the old board.. again.

Fair play though, see where I went wrong.  O0

I agree with NE5 that it's ridiculous to describe Henry as an "FS type signing".

Shepherd was way too ham-fisted an operator to attract a player that good.

Michael Owen?

Bear in mind we signed Owen pre-injury, when he was still a really top class striker.

People have a go at NE5 for turning threads into long, cyclical Shepherd guff-fests, and rightfully so because he does. But honestly, what the fuck do people expect with people making posts like this?

About 2 minutes pre-injury.

Anyway, I would have Henry at Newcastle in a flash, but why the heck would he want to come here?

At one time he would have come here just for the honour of playing for Fat Fred, but of course that golden age is now history.

Made me laugh.

:smitten: Thierry!

I cant see him playing in england ever again.

After his rigmorol with his Child maybe he will do a Beckham?

Would love him to go maybe Villareal? Sevilla?

Somewhere he could still play week in, week out at the highest level!

If Shearer were to have gone away and then signed for Man City... i'd have been distraught. Just the idea of my hero playing again for someone other than Newcastle would be rotten. Nobby going to Wet Spam was bad enough. Wouldn't you feel the same way if Henry were to return to England with someone else?

It would be horrible yes, but, i'd just love to watch him more regularly than i do now.

I'd love to see him hammering the league (not us)

And i'd love to be at the match he returns to the grove!

But it would be horrible to see him wearing Man City blue :(

He wont though, definately not.

None starter.

Guest elbee909

Can we shut it with the flaring up whenever the letters 'F' and 'S' appear within a few millimetres of each other?  Tedious cunts.

Would certainly be a bold statement if we went all out to sign Henry in the summer.

Yeah, a statement of patheticness.

Yes, he would make an awful strike partner for your client, Mr. Martins.

you're getting there fredbob. I didn't understand or accept your opinion in December when you were adamant that the club didn't need to waste money in the January transfer window, then for some reason completely changed your mind when the club changed managers.

Ive always maintained that if the essential players were available we should go for it, but thought it was a bad idea to spend heavily in the Jan period for obvious reason regarding the period itself and Allardyces record, in hindsight i was correct. Having said that, i always think its important that new managers get there own squads in so i was quick to advocate Keegan spending money in the window because he needed to get men in that he wanted. I can see the difference between the 2 situations, if you cant then thats your problem. The sad thing is ive said this all before, and as yet you still dont understand.

I think you have me down as someone who is anti shepherd and anti old board, and you couldnt be more wrong, although you do have some decent attempts. I, again have already acknowledged Shepherd et al invaluable input to the club, something which other people who have negative things to say about Shepherd fail to do.

I suspect that if we sign Thierry Henry then you would do an equally dramatic u-turn but that is just opinion. Hopefully we will, by the way, and so far as I am concerned whether the chairman/ owner is Ashley, Mort, Shepherd or even the bloke who plays his mouth organ outside Fenwicks I don't give a toss, its a quality player and I would trust the people at the club to have evaluated that, and congratulate them on showing ambition for the club.

Well then you'd be wrong again, which i thought  would of been impossible to do seeing as though i have said 2 or 3 times that "i would have him here in a flash"

"if we signed him you wouldnt see me complaining" etc etc. You see, its yet another blantent example of you a) making things up, and b) seeing what you want to see and c) misinerpreting things to suit your argument.

As for the second point of your statement, its down to personal opinions, and im by no means turning my nose up at Thierry Henry, but when you weigh up the whole possilibty, i dont think it would be the best option out there. I dont know about you, but i see a player who cast a considerable shadow over his last club, is the wrong side of 30, has a huge reputation which would comand huge wages and signing on fees as well as a considerably hefty transfer fee add to the fact that you can guaratuee his heart wouldnt be in it, now in your eyes for some reason, none of that matters whatsoever, but in my eyes, i see £10m transfer, £5m p/y wages and x amount of bonus payments, which equates to approx £25-£30m pound on one player who prossilby has only 3 years at the top.

Now if you ask me, and yourself would you like to see £30m spent on Henry or that £30m spent on someone who is younger has big potential ie Hunteleer or Benzema (I know both are out of our leagues but it is an example) who would be equally as threatening in front of goal.

To me, the maths does itself.  Like i say if you disagree then thats upto you, im desperate for this not to turn into another old vs new board debate because im quite frankly not interested but if you have anything constructive to say about the merits of the transfer then feel free to comment.

The whole phrase "FS signing" says everything I'm afraid, there was absolutely no reason to say it at all, unless you have a strange agenda that maybe you could explain. That is the point of my post. I fail to see why you think signing such players is bad for the club and "not the sort of signing we should be making" when the clubs current transfer policy has us knocking on the relegation trapdoor.

The whole Shepherd comment was pretty much in regard to everything ive already said above, like ive said, not iterested in a new vs old board debate, again, ive already explained in pretty great detail about Shepherd et al downward spiral after the sacking of SBR and the financial implications of that decision dig it up if you're that bothered about the comment but ill stick to my guns and stick with the opinion thank you very much.

Bytheway, just to reiterate im not interested in an old vs new board debate, if you have anything interesting to say about my thoughts on the trasfer then feel free, but i feel ive explained myself well enough, like i said, he's not the signing i would be gunning for, but i wouldnt complain one iota if he came. This comment alone undermines your entire argument so i really see no point to reply.

Henry is/was great in this league and sure the thought of having a player of that class next season would be mouth watering but i'd sooner go out there an find "the next henry".

Rodhaminho has got the right idea.

I repeat if we sign Henry or Ronaldinho this summer I will indeed be depressed.

I would prefer to see us bringing in the likes of Nasri, Ben Arfa, Diego, Huntelaar, Benzema etc. You know the next generation who will give us years of great service.

Henry and Ronaldinho? To hell with that shite.

Would be embarrassing and would end in tears.

How much would their wages be? And for what exactly but bouts of injuries and overweightness because they have no motivation to play for a team trying to re-establish itself.

Pathetic.

Ronaldinho already struggles to stay motivated to perform for Barcelona so God knows what would happen if he came here.

Thank God for our new setup. A big part of their job would be to prevent us from being ripped off by overspending on these type of players when they are on their way down.

If we are going to spend silly money it should at least be on players who have long term futures and who are still to reach their prime.

No more Kluiverts and Vidukas thanks. How about some fresh blood please!

Ronaldinho already struggles to stay motivated to perform for Barcelona so God knows what would happen if he came here.

Thank God for our new setup. A big part of their job would be to prevent us from being ripped off by overspending on these type of players when they are on their way down.

If we are going to spend silly money it should at least be on players who have long term futures and who are still to reach their prime.

I agree that any big money should be spent on players under the age of 24, just pointing out that Ronaldinho and Henry shouldn't bu lumped in together.

So not only would you turn down Ronaldinho, you're putting him in the same bracket as Viduka?

I hope no other clubs forums get a hold of posts like this!

So not only would you turn down Ronaldinho, you're putting him in the same bracket as Viduka?

I hope no other clubs forums get a hold of posts like this!

Why the hell would I want Ronaldinho when we could instead go after the  likes of Nasri or Diego???

They would likely cost less or round about the same amount but would bw with us for the next 10 years. Even if we chose to sell them later on we would get a hell of a lot of money for them too.

Your the one who hasn't got a clue pal. Your eally haven't.

Guest float one in

Wouldn't neccessarily be over the moon at signing Ronaldinho, but lets not forget that Keegan signing him is alot different to Souness or Roeder (or indeed Sheperd) signing him. Keegan doesn't do 'trophy' signings.

I wouldn't mind securing our Premier League status for next season before we bomb out the likes of Ronaldinho and Henry.

EEEither of them have yet to prove they could be even half the player Ronnie can be, and I rate Diego..

Well they are still young enough to go on and do so aren't they? Besides they have shown they are quality young players that could add creativity to any side.

If everyone only ever signed experienced players who had proven themselves as world class players then how would any young talent ever come through? There is always an element of risk, but it is generally a smarter move to get in younger talent rather than pay loads of money for players who are on their way down.

If we signed Ronaldinho in the summer while the likes of Spurs, Aston Villa and Man City were all signing the likes of Diego, Nasri, Van der Vaart etc I would be very uncomfortable indeed.