NUFC want to offer Owen new deal

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest rebel_yell12

Owen started his run from right next to McShane, at least from all the angles I saw his goal from (television replays, not live...am a very long way from SJP).  To me, that's not a run from deep.  McShane was the deepest of the defenders.  That's the last shoulder, imo.  I do agree that having both Martins and Viduka on the pitch is very helpful, don't get me wrong.  That's half of what was wrong with the 4-4-2 with Smith -- the defenders could ALL mark Owen -- or with the matches when Martins was the only available striker -- they could ALL play Martins, and largely why the three strikers are successful.

I politely disagree about Owen's performances v. Russia.  He was fairly average away, but I'd take his average over the other England options full-strength at the minute.  His "average" included the assist for the goal, at least (and that Russia CB should be embarrassed that little MO just flat out-jumped him for that ball).  I thought Owen was well above average at home to Russia.  Two goals, both very well taken, and an assist for the third goal merits more than "average," imo.  Why the "average" rating?  I am far from alone in my interpretation, I think.  Personally, I thought he was more "average" at home to Israel, aside from a real beauty for the goal.  I think we may just be using entirely different rating systems, here.  Differences make the world go round, though.  Cheers for being polite about my apparent density.

Owen was around 10 yards behind McShane when the ball was played to Geremi to cross it in and also had Martins, Viduka, Beye and 5 outfield Sunderland players between him and the goal, McShane was looking across the back line, it was from then Owen made the run which Geremi spotted so lifted a great ball over the heads of all of the players concentrating on the ball, Owen went around the back of McShane (who wasn't even concentrating on where he was) and put the header away.

He wasn't playing on the shoulder at all.

I think the likely difference between opinions is that I'm a Newcastle fan where as you seem to be a Michael Owen fan.

Guest rebel_yell12

I can't be both?  :undecided:

I hate to be a pest, I'm just honestly curious, but you've still not explained the "average" comment v. Russia (home).  Normally, someone gets a brace of well-taken goals against fairly tough international competition, and provides the assist for the other goal, it rates above an "average" from most (the papers all rated him well above the "average" of a 5 or 6, iirc, as did fan polls) and he was given MotM.  So, in your opinion, what made the performance average, and perhaps provide examples of above average performances (and why they were above average)?  I'm always interested in other fans' opinions (well, reasonable fans) as I feel I learn quite a lot that way.  If you don't have the time or the inclination to answer, that's all right.  I'm just excessively curious.