***The Footballing "Why the hell"....Thread***

Heron

Why do referee's, when blowing for half/full time, have to wait until the goalkeepers just took a goal kick or free kick before blowing as soon as the balls in the air.

I mean, there's obviously no time to score so why make them take the kick? Why not just blow before?

I know not a major issue, it's just something that's pissed me off for years.

I always thought they had to blow for full time/half time when the ball was in a neutral position, or in a position where theres no chance either side could score immediately.

Was surprised the full time whistle was blown last night just after Ronaldo's last free kick had been saved, I would have guessed they would have played on until it had been cleared.

I don't know if it's been changed in recent seasons but the rule used to be that the ball had to be in play for the game to end and as a goal kick or free kick is taken to restart the game then technically the ref can't blow the final whistle until after the kick has been taken.

The opposite occurs in rugby where the game can't only end with the ball in play.

why do linesman always look at the referee before deciding which team the throw in is for despite the linemans being at most 10 yards away from the ball

They then flourish the flag as if they've made some huge decision when everyone knows the ref told them which way to go, I'm not the biggest fan of linesmen and won't call them assistant referees!

Why do referee's, when blowing for half/full time, have to wait until the goalkeepers just took a goal kick or free kick before blowing as soon as the balls in the air.

I mean, there's obviously no time to score so why make them take the kick? Why not just blow before?

I always thought they had to blow for full time/half time when the ball was in a neutral position, or in a position where theres no chance either side could score immediately.

Was surprised the full time whistle was blown last night just after Ronaldo's last free kick had been saved, I would have guessed they would have played on until it had been cleared.

I don't know if it's been changed in recent seasons but the rule used to be that the ball had to be in play for the game to end and as a goal kick or free kick is taken to restart the game then technically the ref can't blow the final whistle until after the kick has been taken.

The opposite occurs in rugby where the game can't only end with the ball in play.

No, the rules haven't been like that. Only penalties have to be taken before the referee can blow the final whistle. Free kicks, throw ins and goal kicks does not have to be taken.

No, the rules haven't been like that. Only penalties have to be taken before the referee can blow the final whistle. Free kicks, throw ins and goal kicks does not have to be taken.

Fair enough it was just my understanding, I've played in hundreds of games, pro and semi pro and watched hundreds more and I've noticed the referee blow the full or half time whistle with the ball out of play.

Fair enough it was just my understanding, I've played in hundreds of games, pro and semi pro and watched hundreds more and I've noticed the referee blow the full or half time whistle with the ball out of play.

Who did you play pro for?

He's played Pro-Evo he means...

FIFA maybe........ Millwall in reality though

Guest firetotheworks

Why the hell cant some wingers (Milner/Lennon/Pennant) cross the ball? Or why the hell do they fail to in the same way most times ? (hitting the first man) I just don't get it.

Aye, that's what I thought as well.

Hence my frustration.

Guest toonlass

Why do some goalkeepers take an age to take a goal kick, and then kick it out of play or straight to a player who they don't train with in the weeks leading up to the game?

And our freekick in the last few seconds of the everton game. Players in the box, just hit the freekick and the ref blowed.

FIFA maybe........ Millwall in reality though

Interesting. I'm mates with Ben May, did you play whilst he was there?

Why do players wave imaginary card signs?

That's actually one that doesn't bother me. There's times where it's a clear yellow card and the referee doesn't book a player for a dodgy tackle, so I've got no problems whatsoever with a player doing that and asking why he's not being booked. When a player dives and does that, then aye, that's bad.

Carragher's foul on Robben just there is a perfect example of what I mean. He didn't do it, but he'd have had every right to ask the referee why that didn't warrant a yellow.

Guest firetotheworks

When there is blatant obstruction by a defender as the ball is rolling out for a goal kick (or by anyone else when it is rolling out), which would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch...

Good one, that. Applies to a lot of different things. When you hear commentators say 'if that had've been outside the box it would have been a free kick' you just want to shout 'Well why isn't a fucking pen then!?'

When there is blatant obstruction by a defender as the ball is rolling out for a goal kick (or by anyone else when it is rolling out), which would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch...

Good one, that. Applies to a lot of different things. When you hear commentators say 'if that had've been outside the box it would have been a free kick' you just want to shout 'Well why isn't a f***ing pen then!?'

Cos if you'd ever been a referee you'd know that some fouls are given as part of game management, and other fouls have to be really, REALLY earned......and giving match deciding penalty kicks like candy at Halloween isn;t something that referees want to do.

Every time a commentator says "that should have been a penalty" I think....oh really.....you'd give away this match for that little thing?    Referees don't want to decide the game at all.....we want the game decided by the players not the referee. The last 10 mins of a tight game, and I'm chanting in my head.....Don't do anything stupid, don't make me change the game, don't be an idiot and give up a stupid foul.

Guest firetotheworks

Good one, that. Applies to a lot of different things. When you hear commentators say 'if that had've been outside the box it would have been a free kick' you just want to shout 'Well why isn't a f***ing pen then!?'

Cos if you'd ever been a referee you'd know that some fouls are given as part of game management, and other fouls have to be really, REALLY earned......and giving match deciding penalty kicks like candy at Halloween isn;t something that referees want to do.

Every time a commentator says "that should have been a penalty" I think....oh really.....you'd give away this match for that little thing?     Referees don't want to decide the game at all.....we want the game decided by the players not the referee. The last 10 mins of a tight game, and I'm chanting in my head.....Don't do anything stupid, don't make me change the game, don't be an idiot and give up a stupid foul.

If you dont want to influence the game then dont be a referee, thats something you have to do.

As for the rules applying differently in the box, so fuck if your'e 'giving away the match', referees are there to make important decisions, not to be scared of having any influence. Theres no consistency in the rules and/or decisions given, if you dont give it in the box then dont give it anywhere else, or vice versa.