UK Government Gives Go Ahead to Anti-filesharing Legislation

GM

Anti-filesharing legislation gets go ahead

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?storycode=1039219

12:05 | Wednesday November 18, 2009

By Robert Ashton

The Digital Economy Bill, including measures to curb illegal P2P filesharing, will form part of the legislative programme in the final months of this Government after it was listed in The Queen’s speech today.

The Queen, who introduced around a dozen new Bills including measures to tackle anti-social behaviour, told MPs gathered in the House of Lords that, “My Government will introduce a bill which ensures the communications infrastructure is fit for the digital age and supports future economic growth.”

More details about the Digital Economy Bill, jointly sponsored by the Department of Culture Media and Sport and Lord Mandelson’s Department for Business Innovation and Skills, will be published on Friday, when it is hoped the Government will put more flesh on the bone about how it intends to suspend unlawful P2P filesharers and any recourse to appeal filesharers might have.

BPI Chief Executive Geoff Taylor welcomed the inclusion of the Digital Economy Bill in the Queen’s Speech. Taylor says, “It is good news for fans of British music that Government is now introducing legislation to tackle illegal downloading. The creative sector in the UK needs new measures implemented urgently that address this problem for now and the future if the UK is to lead Europe in giving consumers innovative and high quality digital entertainment.”

PPL chairman and CEO Fran Nevrkla also praised the Government's move to include the Bill in today's speech. He believes the announcement of the Digital Economy Bill is "a step towards a more productive and safer online environment." Nevrkla adds, "It will help the development of the internet as a medium for creators and rightsholders, including performers, to conduct their business fairly and to grow this critical part of the economy. More importantly it will enable talent to flourish whilst maintaining employment opportunities."

Parliament must quickly decide which order Bills will be debated and in which chamber: insiders are suggesting that the Digital Economy Bill might be introduced in the House of Lords but although the Tories and Liberals are broadly supportive of much of it the Government faces a very tight timetable to get it through before the general election next year.

Still a lot of detail to be provided, but interesting to see the Government pushing ahead on this now they've got next to no chance of pushing any legislation through in the next 6 months. Cynical spin from the New Labour election machine.

Still a lot of detail to be provided, but interesting to see the Government pushing ahead on this now they've got next to no chance of pushing any legislation through in the next 6 months. Cynical spin from the New Labour election machine.

How will this win them votes?

I'm not sure. :undecided:

But they stand little chance of getting much through the Parliamentary process ahead of the next election. I suppose it could be seen as positioning themselves on the side of artists, taking a pro-industry stand on the issue, which may curry favour with artists and publishers. But I'm as puzzled as you are, Keef. ???

Guest Stephen927

Illegal downloading in most cases when it comes to music leads to the person going out and buying the CD anyways. Like fuck am I going to buy a CD I've never heard before for full whack unless it's a band I love and have faith they'll produce something good.

I'm not sure. :undecided:

But they stand little chance of getting much through the Parliamentary process ahead of the next election. I suppose it could be seen as positioning themselves on the side of artists, taking a pro-industry stand on the issue, which may curry favour with artists and publishers. But I'm as puzzled as you are, Keef. ???

More like someone took a backhander to get this to the table.

What a big issue that is in the grand scheme of things.

I dont understand why bands dont set up their own web pages and sell their music that way rather having talentless fucknuts getting a share.

Spot on.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2968/musiccm.jpg

Illegal downloading in most cases when it comes to music leads to the person going out and buying the CD anyways. Like fuck am I going to buy a CD I've never heard before for full whack unless it's a band I love and have faith they'll produce something good.

:mackems:

That link doesn't back up your statement in the slightest. How many tracks are illegally downloaded compared to legally downloaded? I'll give you a clue: the numbers are miles apart. What you claimed is only the case in a small minority.

The information in the link isn't goverened by a cause-effect relationship. indi made a thread about this not so long ago.

The government only decided to introduce this pointless legislation after Mandy met with David Geffen, prior to that they were dead against anything that came close to a 3-strikes law or threatened to disconnect users from the net.  Funny that.

All that this will mean is that clever users will start borrowing their neighbour's wireless network (a secure network can be cracked in minutes by someone who knows what they're doing), people will start using encrypted connections for their downloads, people will pay for VPNs to less idiotic countries or they'll just switch to services like TOR.

Just more legislation pushed by business and written by people who still think that the rotary dial telephone is a high tech gizmo.

That link doesn't back up your statement in the slightest. How many tracks are illegally downloaded compared to legally downloaded? I'll give you a clue: the numbers are miles apart. What you claimed is only the case in a small minority.

The information in the link isn't goverened by a cause-effect relationship. indi made a thread about this not so long ago.

The only people file-sharing affects are major record labels. Seriously, no one else. That's why it gets the bad press.

Alot of bands I listen (including mine) to put their stuff up for illegal download for the exposure. With certain genres like post-rock with a devoted fanbase they will almost always buy a cd from the independent retailer if its something they like and in that case the artist will get over 50% of the money. This is how it should work.

Unfortunately with over-produced, manufactured shit that gets spouted out on the radio there is very little impetus to go and buy it. I don't mind. Would happily see the major record labels die out and be replaced by independent labels. This is what they get for flooding the market.

I always illegally download an album before buying it, if it's shite i wont get it, if it's good enough i will. It's their problem if they are churning out shit!

Exactly, why take the risk buying something that could end up shit when you can find out if you like it first.

Guest firetotheworks

What a big issue that is in the grand scheme of things.

I dont understand why bands dont set up their own web pages and sell their music that way rather having talentless fucknuts getting a share.

They do, but tbh it doesn't really work if you're relatively unknown.

The only people file-sharing affects are major record labels. Seriously, no one else. That's why it gets the bad press.

Alot of bands I listen (including mine) to put their stuff up for illegal download for the exposure. With certain genres like post-rock with a devoted fanbase they will almost always buy a cd from the independent retailer if its something they like and in that case the artist will get over 50% of the money. This is how it should work.

Unfortunately with over-produced, manufactured shit that gets spouted out on the radio there is very little impetus to go and buy it. I don't mind. Would happily see the major record labels die out and be replaced by independent labels. This is what they get for flooding the market.

Don't disagree with much of that, I was just disputing the laughable claim that illegal downloading in most cases leads to the music being purchased.

Guest Roger Kint

I always illegally download an album before buying it, if it's s**** i wont get it, if it's good enough i will. It's their problem if they are churning out s***!

Exactly, why take the risk buying something that could end up s*** when you can find out if you like it first.

Same here, mainly as my car cd player doesnt play copy cd's very well so if i am going to buy it i will check first

It is good news for fans of British music that Government is now introducing legislation to tackle illegal downloading. The creative sector in the UK needs new measures implemented urgently that address this problem for now and the future if the UK is to lead Europe in giving consumers innovative and high quality digital entertainment.

O M F G

Are these peoples really that fucking stupid? Does anyone in the entire world think the UK is anywhere near 'leading Europe' on the digital entertainment front? Half the broadband connections in the UK aren't even good enough to stream a shite quality YouTube clip without buffering ffs.

Are these peoples really that fucking stupid? Does anyone in the entire world think the UK is anywhere near 'leading Europe' on the digital entertainment front? Half the broadband connections in the UK aren't even good enough to stream a shite quality YouTube clip without buffering ffs.

Let alone stream anything from RedTube, eh? O0

I'd say 66% of my Itunes library is legit, and I plan to buy the rest over a period of time in the future. I have downloaded more but deleted it because I've decided I don't like it. However with Spotify and Youtube and the vast iTunes library available now, I don't really see many excuses left for me downloading music. Either you can't or won't pay, or you do pay.

Never downloaded a film. Cinemas far better if you actully want to watch something, I like to have my own hard DVD copies too if there is something I like watching. If I don't want to pay for a film, I don't want to watch it full stop, so don't bother downloading.

TV is different for me. The TV industry operates nationally in competition with the world-wide nature of the internet. Non-American viewers are potentially victims of spoilers, or may not even get access to certain programmes at all. I will still usually buy the DVD, but the industry needs to look at developing international up to date streaming of their programmes to stop me downloading.