Champions Cup versus Fairs Cup

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Brummiemag

Revert back to calling it the European Cup and only invite 2 clubs (max) from the league champions from each european league. Make it a straight knockout competition with no seedings and no country protection. If that means Man U draw Real in the first round then so be it. 

And forfeit millions and millions of pounds in the process..

Sorry, who would be forfeiting million of pounds?

From an NUFC point of view I would say the UEFA is more of a spectacle as we tend to get further into it. We have a chance of winning it! (when we're in it)

As for the CL though....the music...the extended ad breaks...the oversized advertising hoardings...the exaggerated ticket pricing...it all makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end!

Its just a pity the whole damn tournament + NUFC reminds me of fucking John Barnes and Stuart Fucking Pearce!

what a waste!

From an NUFC point of view I would say the UEFA is more of a spectacle as we tend to get further into it. We have a chance of winning it! (when we're in it)

As for the CL though....the music...the extended ad breaks...the oversized advertising hoardings...the exaggerated ticket pricing...it all makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end!

Its just a pity the whole damn tournament + NUFC reminds me of fucking John Barnes and Stuart Fucking Pearce!

what a waste!

Concentrate your thoughts on Shola in Leverkusen then.

under the old format it often happened that the uefa cup was of a higher standard than the european cup.

The problem with the old format is that you could win the whole thing without never really facing true top tier opposition. Just take a look at the teams we defeated in the way to our first title:

- Hansa Rostock

- Kaiserslautern (2 Germanies for the win)

- Sparta Prague

- Benfica

- Dinamo Kyiv

- Sampdoria

I know the balance  of power wasn't the same in the early 1990s, but still none of those were great sides. Compared to that, last year we played:

- Wisla Krakow

- Basel

- Lisbon

- Shaktar Donetsk

And then, in the knockouts:

- Lyon

- Bayern Munich

- Chelsea

- Manchester United

Quite a difference I'd say.

under the old format it often happened that the uefa cup was of a higher standard than the european cup.

The problem with the old format is that you could win the whole thing without never really facing true top tier opposition. Just take a look at the teams we defeated in the way to our first title:

- Hansa Rostock

- Kaiserslautern (2 Germanies for the win)

- Sparta Prague

- Benfica

- Dinamo Kyiv

- Sampdoria

I know the balance  of power wasn't the same in the early 1990s, but still none of those were great sides. Compared to that, last year we played:

- Wisla Krakow

- Basel

- Lisbon

- Shaktar Donetsk

And then, in the knockouts:

- Lyon

- Bayern Munich

- Chelsea

- Manchester United

Quite a difference I'd say.

also its quite retrospective. wolfsburg were in it this year but at the time they weren't in the top 6 german teams. historically aston villa won it when being an average first division side after being the best side in the country a year earlier.