NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Newcastle United eye up striking ace Luuk De Jong

Oct 9 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are eyeing FC Twente’s Holland forward Luuk de Jong as they continue work on a January striker hitlist.

Stung by accusations that they didn’t do enough to bring in a forward in August, the club are determined to find reinforcements who fit into the recruitment blueprint.

And the 21-year-old has been identified as one of a handful of Continental stars capable of hitting the ground running in the Premier League.

At 6ft 2ins and with a goal record of nearly one every other game, he is under consideration after catching the eye of Toon scouts last season. He fits United’s profile of being under 24 although Twente would be looking for big money for their rising star.

As revealed in the Sunday Sun last week, Mobido Maiga remains the club’s No 1 January target – but they know they need alternatives in case negotiations prove as tortuous as they did this summer.

Maiga is currently on a red-hot scoring streak and Sochaux will be looking to extract more than the £6million that they were asking for in August.

Meanwhile the Sunday Sun understands that negotiations have begun with Fabricio Coloccini’s representatives over a new contract to extend his stay at St James’ Park.

United want to keep the defender on Tyneside and the Toon hierarchy have been delighted with the way he has taken to the captaincy since Kevin Nolan’s departure.

£6m ? seems pretty good? No doubt he'll have other better offers on the table come January. Although he does seeem pretty keen coming here from comments he's made.

If we can sign a quality striker, a quality Right back, perhaps an up and coming CB and keep our best players i'd be delighted.

I can see offers coming in for Krul, S. Taylor, Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas

Linked to Borriello in a deal worth £9.5m.

Not gonna happen.

Was in Rome on holiday a few weeks ago and went to watch Roma Siena while I was there; if Boriello plays at the standard he did in that game every week, we DEFINITELY shouldn't be considering it, he was rubbish!

Hoilett would be a cracking signing imo......

With only 9 months or so left on his contract it sounds like a signing we'd make  :lol:

Right Wing, Centre Forward, and Full Back"left or right"( depending where Santon plays) are the positions that the first team needs strengthening and a CB back up......

Doubt we will sign anymore than 2 players in Jan but its nice to dream none the less.

Hoilett would be a cracking signing imo......

With only 9 months or so left on his contract it sounds like a signing we'd make  :lol:

Looks like a risk-free signing to me, but we won't be the only interested club. It would be in the player's interests to wait till the end of the season and pick and choose.

Krul

Santon  Taylor  Collocini  Pieters

Tiote  Cabaye

Holliet                Ben Arfa        Marveux

Ba

Krul

Santon  Taylor  Collocini  Pieters

Tiote  Cabaye

Holliet                Ben Arfa        Marveux

Ba

Hoilett is showing good promise, though would he be much different to Obertan. While I agree Pieters would be ideal for the left back position.

From what I've seen from Holliet this season and last, he's good but needs to remember his defensive responsibilities as well. Some games he's just left the full back to it and Blackburn have really struggled because of it.