iPod Dilemma

GM

OK, my 80GB iPod is on its last legs and so too is my old PC on which all my tunes are stored. They're both in need of replacement but I'm not sure what to do for the best.

I'm wondering whether to go for a new iPod touch (not sure why I'd need one considering most everything else I could do with it, I can do already with my HTC Desire) or whether to get another similar but 160GB Classic. It would make sense to me, apart from it having too small a screen - you see ideally I'd like to have something I could watch some of my DVDs on, once I've converted them to a suitable format for portable viewing, whilst stuck on the train each day, so was wondering what folks on here would recommend gadget wise? Cheers.

I'm clearly going to need to get a new PC as well, but was thinking I could just use my laptop with a docking unit and a new monitor, and then just buy myself one of those Android competitors to the iPad from browsing stuff and watching DVDs...

I dunno, what do you think?

I'd go for the iPod Touch. Granted, I'm not too clued up on what other options there are, but I know firsthand that the Touch is good. :thup:

Not enough capacity though, that's why I'm reluctant. Why have they made it with so little memory capacity? :dave:

I'd go for the iPod Touch. Granted, I'm not too clued up on what other options there are, but I know firsthand that the Touch is good. :thup:

Not enough capacity though, that's why I'm reluctant. Why have they made it with so little memory capacity? :dave:

to piss you off obviously.

(oh come on you knew i was still here)

I had a nano when the first when came out, then went to touch then to classic and classic is easily my favourite and you can play movies on there but the screen is a tad small, go for the newest model classic.

Same boat really. My old iPod desperately needs replaced and I'm torn between an iPod classic or 64gb iPod touch. Both have more than sufficient space. The classic's cheaper and I already have a HTC Hero but the iPod touch is much better than the Hero in what it does.

Hmm.

Due to discovering Spotify and Last.fm on here I'm binning my 120gb classic in favour of a phone with decent memory that will support these apps. All the music I can eat and much more flexible/convenient than iTunes and you can still use your existing tracks. Win win.

Couldn't live without an iPod really even if I do have a Spotify enabled phone. Firstly that would set me back £9.99 a month and all the 'unlimited internet' deals have a fair usage limit. So basically when they say unlimited they mean 500mb (in my case) or 1gb and I'm always close to the limit without streaming music.

With Spotify for iPhone/Android you have an offline version, so just download all your playlists when you're at your home using your own network and then apply the offline modus and you're good to go.

exactly, and you can listen to whatever the fuck you like when you're near wireless :thup:

Have you got free 3G with your Desire? If so, go for a Touch, as you'll have most of your music in Spotify on your phone and you can then play the movies on your Touch. It's pretty much the set up I've got, though I do use my Touch for listening to music a bit as well.

Kem, if I was in your position I'd go for the classic and use your phone for your videos if capacity is a real issue. Also have a look in the Apple store (The Metro Centre one has opened aswell, so assuming you live in Newcastle you have 2 to choose from.) and look at their PC aswell. You didn't state if you wanted a laptop to replcase your desktop or if you would have a desktop instead, either way they offer good machines. Don't be fooled by those who will tell you to get an iPad instead.

How long do you have left to wait untill you can upgrade your phone?, if it's not long maybe it's worht getting an iPhone?

Nah, don't do that Kem. Your battery on your Desire won't last you longer than a 15 year old lad losing his virginity to Cheryl Tweedy if you're watching videos on it.

Is the 80 GB you've got on your current iPod enough? If it is, surely you can get by with having something like 30GB of music and 30GB of films on your iPod, then use Spotify for the rest of your music on your phone?

Nah, don't do that Kem. Your battery on your Desire won't last you longer than a 15 year old lad losing his virginity to Cheryl Tweedy if you're watching videos on it.

Is the 80 GB you've got on your current iPod enough? If it is, surely you can get by with having something like 30GB of music and 30GB of films on your iPod, then use Spotify for the rest of your music on your phone?

Good points, Towelie. :nods: I think the answer probably lies in getting into the habit of carrying less stuff on my iPod, and managing my media library better. Intrigued by the idea of using Spotify on the phone - you need to sign up to £10pcm Premium subscription to make it work on Android, but it could be worth it. Need to get used to spotify a bit more before taking that plunge though.

Personally didn't buy into iPhone spotify. I think it's more suited to playing music when others are around, so everyone gets a bit of what they want. It's good, but I find it easier to just shove my iTunes library on shuffle. I'm sure I could recreate something similar on spotify, but I'm not sure that warrants my subscription money.