Backing Up Your Files - Tips?

Willow

I'd like to know how you guys/gals back up all of your data on a regular basis.

Can you recommend any programs/methods?

Preferably something that's automated and requires minimal fuss :)

Do nothing, simply shit yourself when you have a problem.

That's what I do most of the time.

So not one person on the forum backs up their files/data at all?

Great stuff..

Do nothing, simply s*** yourself when you have a problem.

That's what I do most of the time.

So not one person on the forum backs up their files/data at all?

Great stuff..

What OS are you using ? A simple hard drive which is scheduled to back up your documents should suffice. Windows 7 makes this very very easy.

I have my PC set up as a media centre so all my DVDs and music are ripped to it. I have orginals but wouldn't fancy the chew on of ripping them all again if I needed to. I therefore have a full backup of the computer using Clonezilla and then I do a weekly backup of my My Documents folder which I do incremental backups of on to my 2TB external hard drive that way it doesn't take long cause it only backs up what has changed.

*takes deep breath*

For my OS and personal data, I have my main drive mirrored automatically twice a week to a backup drive, so if the primary dies, I can simply reboot from the backup. I have a secondary backup on the Time Machine drive from which I can restore the system, but mainly I use that for its hourly backup feature allowing me to restore older versions of stuff.

Thirdly, I have another two external drives with an encrypted backup that I keep at a mate's house. Every month or so, I update the drive I have, take it to his house and bring the other one back here.

I keep all my media (stuff I didn't create) on a Drobo with 4 disks in it. If one of the disks fails, I can simply replace it and no data will be lost.

Why so much? I've had drives fail several times in the past (but with very little data because it was mostly backed up), and the price of a backup drive is much less than I could potentially lose if I miss a deadline due to my main drive failing. If it does, I can simply reboot, pull the last version of the files I'm working on from Time Machine and lose at most 60 minutes' work.

Equally, the €100 a harddrive costs is easily worth it to make a copy of years' worth of photos and other stuff I've made safe from a house fire or theft. Also, as I keep all the other drives permanently attached to the computer, there's a chance they could all be wiped by a malfunction or enemy action.