NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest bimpy474

Surely he's kidding?

I think it was more to hoy Jonas out if we couldn't buy a LW/LM, get a LB instead and move Santon up.

Surely he's kidding?

I think it was more to hoy Jonas out if we couldn't buy a LW/LM, get a LB instead and move Santon up.

Aye, it was just a random thought to move Jonas out the team whilst still keeping Santon in the team.  Id still like to see Santon play with less defensive responsibility. Never going to happen like.

I guess i'm going to have to post my Roberto Carlos on Hodgson quotes why i don't want to see Santon on the wing EVER post again.

He started as a forward.

Most people do, anyway this is the reason i don't want to see him as a winger.... a quote from Roberto Carlos on Hodgson.

My problem at Inter was Hodgson, Roy Hodgson. He wanted me to play as a forward when I'm a defender – I prefer to have space ahead of me to run into rather than be a winger already up there; for me it's better to have 80 metres to play in than 20. I didn't like the system or where Hodgson wanted me to play in it. He wanted me further up the pitch, sure, but stopped, still, rigid. The Copa America was coming up and I was playing at left-back for Brazil, so I wanted to play there for Inter too. I had to leave because I didn't want to jeopardise my chances with the national team. If I couldn't play the way I do I wouldn't be able to play for Brazil. I spoke to Massimo Morratti [the Inter president] to see if he could sort things out and it soon became clear that the only solution was to leave.   

The part in bold applies to Santon and why he would struggle as a winger, alot more than Jonas and Obertan do who actually understand the position.

Moving him up the pitch isn't the worst idea imo. I know Haidara and Dummett are largely unproven but Santon is miles better attacking than he is defending. He get's caught out positionally so much and teams notice it. Hopefully he's learned.

Guest neesy111

Moving him up the pitch isn't the worst idea imo. I know Haidara and Dummett are largely unproven but Santon is miles better attacking than he is defending. He get's caught out positionally so much and teams notice it. Hopefully he's learned.

Needs proper coaching, which we don't have.

All true my problem with it is: he will find it a lot harder the higher up the pitch he plays as the space to run into will be a lot tighter.

Its honestly the main reason a lot of wingers have been converted to fullbacks in recent years.

I worry he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective at dribbling and lets be honest his end product is not good enough atm.

All true my problem with it is: he will find it a lot harder the higher up the pitch he plays as the space to run into will be a lot tighter.

Its honestly the main reason a lot of wingers have been converted to fullbacks in recent years.

I worry he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective at dribbling and lets be honest his end product is not good enough atm.

:thup:

Getting up the field as a fullback is quite different from attacking as a wing player.

Needs proper coaching, which we don't have.

exactly, if he's getting caught out positionally and pushing forward at the wrong times then we should start by making him a defender again and build up the attacking side of his game later on after he's more solid

problem last season imo was he was one of the few few people who provided any movement and was capable of moving the ball up the pitch without belting it, so he was doing it way too much and getting punished

if they reign him in, get him to defend first and someone else provides more movement then his errors will certainly reduce....it's not like he can't defend at all

EDIT: it's the exact same thing as if he was misreading the offside trap all the time and playing people in, you wouldn't just let him persist in doing it you'd coach it out of him

He still doesn't look very comfortable on the left. He's very one-footed and it's his right. It affects his ability to clear the ball and particularly his ability to put in a cross at the right time.