Elliot Anderson (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

joeyt

Thought he played ok last night but definitely still glimpses of why he probably wouldn't get to where we want to be as a player, yes I know Longstaff has his limitations but I get the feeling with Anderson that nobody is even sure where his best position is. Longstaff for all his technical issues still shows a decent footballing brain (making good forward runs, offers a bit of a goal threat & his actual positioning sense in both attack and defense is good) I don't really see any of that with Anderson for now. 

He's 21 years old and has just moved to a new team. Descriptions like 'competent', 'short of top level', 'decent', 'solid', 'average', etc. would probably be generous for some of the recent performances by Lewis Hall and Tino Livramento, and they'd also be more than apt for the likes of Dan Burn, Emil Krafth and our new signing Lloyd Kelly. I think Anderson would have been a useful member of the squad. He's added a bit of grit to his game, passes the ball nicely and has better close ball control than most of our midfielders, which is something we lack especially in the final third, plus he'd have been another option down the left if we're looking to free up Barnes and Gordon. I think it's a shame we had to sell him.

I thought he was good. Given his lack of that little yard of pace I've always felt like he'd end up as more of an all round central midfielder rather than a wide player. He is pretty strong, manipulates and uses the ball well, and is technically sound.

Don't think he'll ever be a top player but pretty much convinced he'll play his entire career in the PL tbh. If he would bite the bullet and declare for Scotland he'll get 50+ caps as well.

Edited by ponsaelius

I agree that he looked very comfortable in the middle, in a way that he never got a chance to hear. He has the ability on the ball but not the pace to be a winger and I think that’s ultimately why we let go of him, as we’re not desperate for another central midfielder and couldn’t give him the minutes there 

2 hours ago, Gottlob said:

He's 21 years old and has just moved to a new team. Descriptions like 'competent', 'short of top level', 'decent', 'solid', 'average', etc. would probably be generous for some of the recent performances by Lewis Hall and Tino Livramento, and they'd also be more than apt for the likes of Dan Burn, Emil Krafth and our new signing Lloyd Kelly. I think Anderson would have been a useful member of the squad. He's added a bit of grit to his game, passes the ball nicely and has better close ball control than most of our midfielders, which is something we lack especially in the final third, plus he'd have been another option down the left if we're looking to free up Barnes and Gordon. I think it's a shame we had to sell him.

We only sold him because our backs were to the wall. It's not like we even got great money for him considering we had to take their cast off keeper for £20m to make it happen. Ideally I am sure we would rather have kept him as a squad player who we could develop, but that is just how PSR is screwing the game in general and lots of clubs are having to make such pointless deals.

Forest fans raving about him. I do miss this lad... it's a shame we had to sell him as I think he is a very good player. Maybe probably tried too hard with us and will find his way without pressure from us at Forest. 

Then come back to us!! On a free ;)

Reading the Forest forum, they really are raving about him. With one saying he’s in the same level as MGW. Who would have no doubt cost us an arm and a leg if we had tried to sign.

22 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Reading the Forest forum, they really are raving about him. With one saying he’s in the same level as MGW. Who would have no doubt cost us an arm and a leg if we had tried to sign.

From what I've seen he's getting to play centre midfield though, which I always assumed was his favoured position. Don't think he got that opportunity here much, he was mainly played on the left where he consistently ran into defenders.

On 29/08/2024 at 09:16, KDT said:

Thought he played ok last night but definitely still glimpses of why he probably wouldn't get to where we want to be as a player, yes I know Longstaff has his limitations but I get the feeling with Anderson that nobody is even sure where his best position is. Longstaff for all his technical issues still shows a decent footballing brain (making good forward runs, offers a bit of a goal threat & his actual positioning sense in both attack and defense is good) I don't really see any of that with Anderson for now. 

His corner was better than any of ours

2 minutes ago, Boey_Jarton said:

From the Forest forum. 

"We've got one here, one of the first names on the team sheet now. I can't believe Newcastle chose to get rid of him and keep Longstaff"

Because the rules the elite clubs brought in forced us to - simple really