Parker's playing style

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking at it differently for a moment, Parker's pirouettes could be seen as good play, especially when there isn't much ahead of him or when players are in an off-side position. I've watched countless times Parker almost being forced into making pirouettes in order to keep the ball, because others around him weren't in a position to recieve the ball, making themselves available or because players were too tightly marked. This is good play and the basics of ball retention.

However, there are times when he needlesly does it and it impacts things in a negative manner and I agree, that needs cut out. But people go on as if he does it whenever he's on the ball... not true.

Anyway where most see this in Parker as a weakness, I see it as a strength. Most players would just hoof the ball or surrender possession or try to play a ball they aren't capable of which in turn surrenders possession anyway - but not Parker. You see, this is why I like Parker because tactically he's very tuned in and he is also demonstrating a great deal of belief in his own ability and a comfortableness with the ball at his feet and in tight areas that others don't show. Nobby and Owen are perhaps the only other players in our team who possess these attributes.

Part of a midfielder's job is ball retention and he should be applauded for showing a great deal of skill in this area not lambasted for it.

Look towards the team dynamic when play breaks down and not to an individual who along with a select few, is capable of playing super football as he showed at Charlton in what was a very decent footballing side under Curbishley. Remember his goal at the Valley for us, that sweet sweet move which he was involved in from start to finish?

I do and that's what he is capable of, that's the kind of influence he can have on play.

This is probably one of those rare times that I'll agreewith HTL and disagree with HTT. I just can't see how the Pirouting is of any merit or benefit to the team. Parker's swirl and turn is sideways unlike Zidane's who uses them to beat a player. In effect, it's just wasting time and as good as passing backwards, which in a way can also be seen as "keeping possession", yet hated unanimously by all fans alike.

Parker slows down our attack and I don't buy the argument that he does the pirouting when there are no options. With fast players like Martins and Dyer and intelligent players like Solano around, there are always options available, it's just that Parker doesn't see these options.

I do agree with HTT though that Parker is better than Butt as a DM, the problem is Roeder does not want to play him in that role which makes that comparison moot.

If I had to sell one between Parker and Emre, and assuming we get the same amount of offers for both, I'd sell Parker first. Its not difficult to find an aggressive defebsive midfielder, most midtable teams have them, but only the top teams have a playmaker who can dribble in the final third, we have that in Emre. But knowing Newcastle, Parker's English and plays in typical British style, so its Emre who will go first.

It is a primary part of the role of the DM to distribute the ball well, to set the tempo of the play. The fact that Parker does not have the ability to do this is one of the reasons he is not as good a DM as Butt imo. By Roeder simply putting him in this role and telling him to do it does not mean he will have the ability to do it. With players in the team with pace, such as Dyer, Owen and Martins, not forgetting Zog when he gets back to fitness and form, this failing will be highlighted even more.

Not sure why you don't agree with more of what I post. I often agree with HTT once I've reached the important 10 or words from the 1000's he writes.  :cool: Perhaps you aren't reading the posts properly?  :winking:

I think Butt is streets ahead of Parker, if Parker wants to play regularly he will have to play a forward role in front of Butt instead of Emre. Might not be a bad idea but he is going to have to adjust back to this role, which he played earlier in his career at Charlton. He holds the game up too much though and has to stay on his feel when he tackles. How often do you see Butt slide in ? It may look good but its crap, if he misses the ball or the man he's completely out of the game. If he plays the forward role he has to get into the box more and score goals like he did last week more often.

Aye, which is basically what I was saying ages ago. I don't think he has the ability to play the attacking role either though, which is why I'd like to see him leave. I don't think the club would miss him in the slightest.