Mort sets the record straight

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest optimistic nit

some people on here piss me right off. For months, sorry, years, you have all whinged, as indeed have i, that our ex-chairman, wouldnt keep himself out of the press. We now have somebody that when he took over, came out and spoke, then allowed himself to slip into the shadows, and run the club like a normal CEO. However, now people are whinging because our chairman doesntcome out each week and say we are going to sign a huge star and that "geordies have a special way". Make your mind up boys

Aye.  Weird isn't it?  I love the fact that we barely hear from this bloke, but that when we do it's worth listening to.  Honestly the more this goes on the more I think the press/other fans are spot on in their assessment of a sizeable minority of our fans.  They want razzmatazz and soundbites more than they want a club that's run correctly.

aye.

Guest sicko2ndbest

NEW QUOTES? From todays Mirror

Sam Allardyce has won his fight for more transfer cash after Newcastle chairman Chris Mort yesterday pledged to keep spending.

The United boss landed Spain Under-21 left-back Jose Enrique for £4.2million and will step up his £2.5m pursuit of Serbia defender Ivica Dragutinovic from Sevilla.

But Allardyce has been told there must be none of the last-minute panic buying that has wrecked the club's balance sheet in past seasons.

AdvertisementMort, who is keen to learn from mistakes of former regimes, said: "The club has money to spend on new players and we are keen to keep investing it well.

"Although the new season is fast approaching we are still determined not to feel pressured into panic buys that we would only regret later."

Allardyce is delighted that after a slow month he has finally got the breakthroughs he demanded.

In the past few days he has lured Alan Smith from Manchester United and Brazilian defender Claudio Cacapa from Lyon. Mark Viduka, Geremi and David Rozehnal were also added earlier this summer for a net outlay of just £11m.

Allardyce said: "The Enrique signing will finalise an excellent few days for us. As far as Dragutinovic is concerned, if it's still a possibility than I'll pursue it this week.

"We'll be getting an experienced defender to go with a talented experienced Premiership player in Alan Smith who knows what it takes to win a championship, and also a good central defender in Cacapa.

"Enrique has huge potential and is at a very good age at 21. He has already broken into the Villarreal first team.

We need to feed him in slowly and he won't play against Bolton."

Smith, who scored Newcastle's winner in the friendly against Sampdoria on Sunday, says the St James' Park faithful were giving him the stage he wanted after quitting Old Trafford.

Smith said: "I thank the fans for the reception they gave me, it was incredible.

This is a massive club with fantastic support and I'm delighted to be here.

"I couldn't wait for the game and it was great to get 90 minutes under my belt. I was trying to time my runs to get on the end of things and thankfully I managed to score. I just can't wait for Bolton now, but it's important we get a good start to the season.

"The crowd here is desperate for success and players are desperate to live up to that and want to achieve as much as possible.

Enrique added: "It has all happened very quickly. It is a great challenge to play in the Premiership but I'm under no illusions that it will be easy.

"I know just what a historic club Newcastle is and I am excited by the plans the directors and board have for the club.

"I don't know Sam Allardyce directly but I am told he has great faith in young players and that is great. It is very positive news.

"I am ready to go and if Sam wants to play me this weekend I'm ready.

"English football's fast and physical, especially for defenders. Strikers like to get stuck in but that isn't a problem for me.

"To have Albert Luque in the squad is great for me. Another Spaniard here as I start out in Newcastle can only help me."