Problems Solved?

johnnypd

A lot of people thought the Derby debacle raised a few points, issues that had been bubbling under the surface in previous games boiled over. While this is a good win and we played well in periods, has Sam learned from the defeat and addressed the problems?

1. The failure of the Big-man/Small-man Combo. The major problem at Derby was that Ameobi couldn't perform this role adequately, but then in previous games when Viduka had played as lone target man, the system didn't work either. None of our strikers look suited to the long-ball game, and our team as a whole looks uncomfortable using it. Viduka isn't at his best challenging with his head, but when the ball is played at chest or knee height, or simply along the deck so he can control it with his excellent technical ability. I think for large parts of the game we knocked it high and while he fought well, he looked isolated, especially as Owen was not making any runs. The times when he looked brilliant were when he dropped deep and away from his man, and had a chance to use his control and vision with the ball on the ground. In many ways Viduka performed the roles of two players, as Owen didn't turn up, he was both the support striker, and also making the surging runs to attack crosses, that saw him put away two of N'Zogbia's best. I think Sam has acknowledged that we need more variety than simply knocking it long, so for one game at least, this issue has been addressed.

2. Lack of Width. Smith on the right, Milner on the left. Smith once again offered nothing of note going forward, and Milner had a very poor game, forced inside by his lack of pace and delivering weak cross after weak cross, invariably behind our strikers. Later on in the match Allardyce moved N'Zogbia up and switched Milner to the right, immediately we started ripping into West Ham to down the flanks. However this was forced onto Allardyce by injury rather than choice. Most of our width in this match was provided by the full-backs, Beye proving a huge improvement on Taylor, and N'Zogbia attacking well from the left. The only reason in particular that i can see for Zoggy's improvement is that West Ham had Bowyer on the right, who is not only a poor footballer but hopeless out wide and someone who drifts in 99% of the time. This meant that N'Zogbia had few responsibilities defending, and even when he made mistakes, there was no-one to exploit this. Had west ham started with a winger out right, i don't think N'Zogbia would've had nearly as much influence. Allardyce didn't attack this problem head on, but let events conspire to solve it instead.

3. Lack of Pace. This wasn't as much of a problem, largely because of Beye and N'Zogbia overlapped so well. However with Owen a blunt instrument up top, i think we missed a few opportunities in the first half to counter-attack effectively, Viduka was left isolated as no one was reading his flick-ons. we looked so much more effective with Martins on, who made an assist and created a chance by using his pace effectively. Problem partially solved.

4. Defence poor in the air. Rozehnal and Cacapa were both thoroughly outclassed in the air by Cole and Ashton, while Ashton's movement and Cole's pace also caused them massive problems. As a partnership this doesn't look like a very compatible one. Ironic that their major problem is an aerial one, when Big Sam's sides are famous for strong defenders good in the air. Problem not solved.

5. Creativity from the middle. Viduka was the main creative outlet through the middle, and looked good dropping deep connecting the midfield and attack. Geremi and Butt didn't offer much going forward, though Geremi's quick passing to wide was better than against Derby. I thought smith on one or two occasions pushed on and supported Viduka well, but this was at the cost of harming our attacking down the right flank. I can't wait till Barton is back and can do this consistently. Problem not solved but i expect it will be less of an issue once Barton is in the side.

It was a very similar game to Bolton in regards to both the performance and result, there were very bright areas in terms of the full backs, but equally there are clearly some parts of the team that still need some major work and attention which you have highlighted.

A lot of people thought the Derby debacle raised a few points, issues that had been bubbling under the surface in previous games boiled over. While this is a good win and we played well in periods, has Sam learned from the defeat and addressed the problems?

1. The failure of the Big-man/Small-man Combo. The major problem at Derby was that Ameobi couldn't perform this role adequately, but then in previous games when Viduka had played as lone target man, the system didn't work either. None of our strikers look suited to the long-ball game, and our team as a whole looks uncomfortable using it. Viduka isn't at his best challenging with his head, but when the ball is played at chest or knee height, or simply along the deck so he can control it with his excellent technical ability. I think for large parts of the game we knocked it high and while he fought well, he looked isolated, especially as Owen was not making any runs. The times when he looked brilliant were when he dropped deep and away from his man, and had a chance to use his control and vision with the ball on the ground. In many ways Viduka performed the roles of two players, as Owen didn't turn up, he was both the support striker, and also making the surging runs to attack crosses, that saw him put away two of N'Zogbia's best. I think Sam has acknowledged that we need more variety than simply knocking it long, so for one game at least, this issue has been addressed.

2. Lack of Width. Smith on the right, Milner on the left. Smith once again offered nothing of note going forward, and Milner had a very poor game, forced inside by his lack of pace and delivering weak cross after weak cross, invariably behind our strikers. Later on in the match Allardyce moved N'Zogbia up and switched Milner to the right, immediately we started ripping into West Ham to down the flanks. However this was forced onto Allardyce by injury rather than choice. Most of our width in this match was provided by the full-backs, Beye proving a huge improvement on Taylor, and N'Zogbia attacking well from the left. The only reason in particular that i can see for Zoggy's improvement is that West Ham had Bowyer on the right, who is not only a poor footballer but hopeless out wide and someone who drifts in 99% of the time. This meant that N'Zogbia had few responsibilities defending, and even when he made mistakes, there was no-one to exploit this. Had west ham started with a winger out right, i don't think N'Zogbia would've had nearly as much influence. Allardyce didn't attack this problem head on, but let events conspire to solve it instead.

3. Lack of Pace. This wasn't as much of a problem, largely because of Beye and N'Zogbia overlapped so well. However with Owen a blunt instrument up top, i think we missed a few opportunities in the first half to counter-attack effectively, Viduka was left isolated as no one was reading his flick-ons. we looked so much more effective with Martins on, who made an assist and created a chance by using his pace effectively. Problem partially solved.

4. Defence poor in the air. Rozehnal and Cacapa were both thoroughly outclassed in the air by Cole and Ashton, while Ashton's movement and Cole's pace also caused them massive problems. As a partnership this doesn't look like a very compatible one. Ironic that their major problem is an aerial one, when Big Sam's sides are famous for strong defenders good in the air. Problem not solved.

5. Creativity from the middle. Viduka was the main creative outlet through the middle, and looked good dropping deep connecting the midfield and attack. Geremi and Butt didn't offer much going forward, though Geremi's quick passing to wide was better than against Derby. I thought smith on one or two occasions pushed on and supported Viduka well, but this was at the cost of harming our attacking down the right flank. I can't wait till Barton is back and can do this consistently. Problem not solved but i expect it will be less of an issue once Barton is in the side.

It was Viduka who made way for Enrique, which moved the zog up and milner to the right/ It was purely tactical and not forced through injury.

Therefore i'd say that this has been addressed, especially when enrique plays regularly

Viduka went off with an injury, hamstring strain.