Switching full-backs, N'Zogbia, 4-3-3 & Big Sam's thinking?

Guest Knightrider

The first post is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long!!

I read it thoroughly and my response in summary is that most of the points stated in it apply to any formation, particularly 442. For instance, the "he's training zoggy at left back so he can defend as a wide forward" argument applies equally to wingers in a 442. The wide players in any formation have to track back, that's the nature of football.

Also, because mourinho plays it doesn't make it the best formation, as in history you'll find more things have been won with 442 than any other formation.

"Transitional Play" is another baffling concept as the 1994 and 1999 Man U teams were the best at counter-attacking when they had to, quality centre midfield passing spraying the ball to Giggs, Kanchelskis et al an rapidly turning defence to attack. Same with us under SBR, the pace of dyer, robert and bellamy allied to solano's craft often seen us tear up the other end of the field and score goals. Being able to counter-attack a team does not depend on systems, but personnel. Pace and ability to trap the ball at high speed and execute final ball passing is the key to effective counter-attacking  in my eyes.

Very well put. The fact we won so many away games under Robson had plenty to do with the fact we had Robert, Dyer and Bellamy with pace, alongside Solano who was fantastic at setting up high speed counter-attacks. Our only two current players with pace were employed at left back and on the bench against Sunderland.

Pace hasnt really been a feature in SA side whereas graft has, if SA does eventually get the 433 sysyem working do not be surprised if Zog finds himself on the bench. I see the front 3 being the source of all of SA problems, i perosonally think that Sam would like to play Duff Viduka and Smith as his front 3, it sounds contreversial but Smith is exactly the type of player SA would want playing as a forward, hard working, strong, threat up front yet will muck in with defensive duties when play dictates it, Duff has played in that position and has been successful in that position as well, he knows that left forward position better than anyone else in the squad.