What is the problem with our national team?

Guest nufc_geordie

I think there is a problem with competitive junior football being (from a very young age) all about playing on full-sized pitches where physicality trumps skill. I also think kids get into the mentality where if they were told they were playing right-back at 7 they're still playing there at 15 without trying other positions. I think kids do play less  nowadays but the problems with the England team stretch back longer than that.

What Premiership club is going to sacrifice athleticism for technique though? They've got to train their players up for the Premier League and anybody who isn't cut out for the pace and physicality of the Premier League simply won't make the grade.

Even Arsene Wenger, who has always looked for technical players, has recognised the need for quick thinking players who are also quick and strong. There aren't many players who thrive in the Premiership on technique alone, it's no surprise clubs are looking for kids who can hold their own in that environment. Speed and physical size will always be taken into account more than in countries like Spain or Italy because these kids need to be able to handle themselves in the Premier League.

What Premiership club is going to sacrifice athleticism for technique though? They've got to train their players up for the Premier League and anybody who isn't cut out for the pace and physicality of the Premier League simply won't make the grade.

Even Arsene Wenger, who has always looked for technical players, has recognised the need for quick thinking players who are also quick and strong. There aren't many players who thrive in the Premiership on technique alone, it's no surprise clubs are looking for kids who can hold their own in that environment. Speed and physical size will always be taken into account more than in countries like Spain or Italy because these kids need to be able to handle themselves in the Premier League.

I was highlighting a problem with junior football regarding technique being far less important than being able to hoof it 60 yards for example. If the physicality you speak of was so important, i.e. more important than technique then there wouldn't be so many foreign players would there? Particularly signed bu the man you mention - Wenger. I'm not saying you ditch one aspect of the game and keep another, I'm saying there needs to be a greater emphasis placed on technical skills at an early age. I don't even think kids should play 11 a side until they're about 10 years old. Either that or play on much smaller pitches.