The glory (KK) years: The players

Guest Knightrider

Rob Lee > Gerrard.

Nah. Rob Lee's game was suited to that era where there were less tactical battles in midfield and play was more open and more significantly that team, where as Gerrard is a genuine world-class midfielder at all levels who would get into most sides the world over.

For me, until Gerrard does it for England or moves abroad and does it I wouldn't class him as World class at all levels.

He's also a snivelling cheating, moaning scally.

Guest Knightrider

Rob Lee > Gerrard.

Nah. Rob Lee's game was suited to that era where there were less tactical battles in midfield and play was more open and more significantly that team, where as Gerrard is a genuine world-class midfielder at all levels who would get into most sides the world over.

Apart from international level.  :angel:

He's proved himself at CL level which basically is international level. It's a higher standard than international games between nations anyway which is dropping with every season it seems, or every major tournament.

Rob Lee > Gerrard.

Apart from international level.  :angel:

He's proved himself at CL level which basically is international level. It's a higher standard than international games between nations anyway which is dropping with every season it seems, or every major tournament.

What you essentially mean is that the standard involving English national teams is dropping then?

There was some very high standard work from Italy, Germany, France and at times Spain and Argentina last world cup. All of whom were the best they had been for quite a few years.

Just because England and Brazil have been in decline doesn't mean others aren't getting better. That Italian squad would have been a genuine contender for the CL, and it would have been interesting to let some of the others loose.

I think there are genuine doubts as to whether English players like Gerrard are intelligent enough to compete at that kind of level. For mine, most of the English NT are simply not intelligent enough to cope with the tactical changes inherent in the wide range of opposition at international level. They are used to having teams built around their fairly rigidly set mentality and just aren't intelligent enough to accomodate wide ranging changes to that.