Player commitment and loyalty.

Parky

Given that contracts seemingly only seem to tie the club to the player, and not vice versa, is it worth offering anything longer than two years?

If a player signed to us for x number of years - N'Zogbia for instance - wants to go, all he has to do is put a pet lip on - okay, I see how Charlie is a bad example - and he can leave.

But, if the player we tie down for x years turns out to be a crock, or simply doesn't want to play for us - Babayaro and Luque etc, etc - We're stuck with them for the duration of the deal.

Rolling contracts are the future - Wages based on the performance of the previous season.

Given that contracts seemingly only seem to tie the club to the player, and not vice versa, is it worth offering anything longer than two years?

If a player signed to us for x number of years - N'Zogbia for instance - wants to go, all he has to do is put a pet lip on - okay, I see how Charlie is a bad example - and he can leave.

But, if the player we tie down for x years turns out to be a crock, or simply doesn't want to play for us - Babayaro and Luque etc, etc - We're stuck with them for the duration of the deal.

I see where you're coming from but the trouble with that is that you get one indifferent season and half the squad are saying "sell me now or I'm off for free next summer".