The Structure of a 'Top Club'

Mr. Slugworth

Guest Rushian

Don't agree with Rushian at all, just look at the spurs / chelsea models to see how it should work...  Glenn is the coach and i'd suggest he needs help with transfers / scouting etc.  Look what happened this summer...

But what has either brought to their respective clubs? Are Chelsea better with Arnesen? They won the league the year before he joined and you'd struggle to find anyone who'd argue it's the Abramovic/Mourinho effect that has taken the club on. Is Arnesen/Commoli's influence on Spurs long-lasting or was it the effect of finally appointing a decent coach in Martin Jol? They've had one good season in the league remember - Everton without a DoF have had two in the last three years.

well it works in Yurop but here the record is terrible - the problem is that they are two seperate jobs really - the Director of Football is in charge of the  all the non commercial stuff, the transfers, scouting, the youth team etc etc and the COACH just runs the first team, tactics etc etc

Over here we appoint two managers both of whom want to run it all so all you get is conflict......................

Totally agree. The team manager is the most important person in a football club, you can have the best business brains and pay them millions but with the wrong manager you are pissing in the wind.

Rushian mate, I see your point but I really do think that the effect that Comolli has had at Spurs has been significant.  The entire structure of the club has been changed (although I think that David Pleat was D of F with Hoddle??) and in particular, the recruitment of younger foreign players will reep rewards (look at how they did this at Arsenal - Fabregas, Toure, Senderos etc.).  I'd just love to have a few more N'Zogbia's coming through (and I wish Rossi was ours... £200k!!) instead of blowing millions and millions on the likes of Boumsong, Luque, Viana, Marcelino etc. MILLIONS ffs!!!  Even if we got 1 or 2 kids coming through, it'd save so much money and the best way to do that is to recruit the best talent, at home and abroad.  That is why i would like to see a forward thinking D of F brought in.

Rushian mate, I see your point but I really do think that the effect that Comolli has had at Spurs has been significant.  The entire structure of the club has been changed (although I think that David Pleat was D of F with Hoddle??) and in particular, the recruitment of younger foreign players will reep rewards (look at how they did this at Arsenal - Fabregas, Toure, Senderos etc.).  I'd just love to have a few more N'Zogbia's coming through (and I wish Rossi was ours... £200k!!) instead of blowing millions and millions on the likes of Boumsong, Luque, Viana, Marcelino etc. MILLIONS ffs!!!  Even if we got 1 or 2 kids coming through, it'd save so much money and the best way to do that is to recruit the best talent, at home and abroad.  That is why i would like to see a forward thinking D of F brought in.

Since when do you need a DOF to bring in promising foreign youngsters?

Just get a good scouting network set up that liaises with the first team manager.