Clubs Directors... The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Guest Armchair Pundit

Guest Armchair Pundit

From SSN:

Liverpool director Noel White has resigned from the club's board with immediate effect.

White confirmed to club bosses that he was the unnamed director quoted in a newspaper article criticising boss Rafa Benitez and then tendered his resignation.

In the article White raised concerns about Benitez's leadership and also questioned his transfer dealings.

"It is with great regret that I have tendered my resignation as a director of the club," White told Liverpool's official website.

"For the 21 years I have had the privilege of being a director of this great institution my guiding principle has been to act in the best interests of the club.

"In view of the controversy caused by comments in a national newspaper, attributed to an anonymous director, and the effect this has had on the chairman, my fellow directors, the manager and many supporters, I feel the honourable course is to resign. Indeed, my guiding principle dictates that this is the only course.

"It was never my intention to cause such controversy, nor did I envisage that my remarks would receive such widespread coverage. I recognise, however, that I must take responsibility for my actions even though the outcome was not what I intended.

"I have always received a great deal of support and friendship from the chairman, the board, the club and staff and I hope and believe I have reciprocated. I continue to wish them, the manager, the players and all associated with Liverpool Football Club every possible success."

Club chairman David Moores was adamant that White's position had become untenable, but also expressed his sadness at the entire affair.

"This is very sad for both the club and Mr White who has been a valuable member of the board for 21 years," Moores said.

"However, the board considers that the statements made do not reflect its own views and that this is not the Liverpool way of doing business. The proper place for debate is around the boardroom table.

"It is vital that we pull together at all times whether on the field or off it.

"It has to be said that at the first available opportunity on the day the article appeared Mr White was completely honest in telling me that he was responsible for it.

"He recognised that this made his position on the board quite untenable and he did the honourable thing by resigning."

I wish we had directors like that! If we did Shepherd and Hall would have gone AGES ago  :roll:

From SSN:

Liverpool director Noel White has resigned from the club's board with immediate effect.

White confirmed to club bosses that he was the unnamed director quoted in a newspaper article criticising boss Rafa Benitez and then tendered his resignation.

In the article White raised concerns about Benitez's leadership and also questioned his transfer dealings.

"It is with great regret that I have tendered my resignation as a director of the club," White told Liverpool's official website.

"For the 21 years I have had the privilege of being a director of this great institution my guiding principle has been to act in the best interests of the club.

"In view of the controversy caused by comments in a national newspaper, attributed to an anonymous director, and the effect this has had on the chairman, my fellow directors, the manager and many supporters, I feel the honourable course is to resign. Indeed, my guiding principle dictates that this is the only course.

"It was never my intention to cause such controversy, nor did I envisage that my remarks would receive such widespread coverage. I recognise, however, that I must take responsibility for my actions even though the outcome was not what I intended.

"I have always received a great deal of support and friendship from the chairman, the board, the club and staff and I hope and believe I have reciprocated. I continue to wish them, the manager, the players and all associated with Liverpool Football Club every possible success."

Club chairman David Moores was adamant that White's position had become untenable, but also expressed his sadness at the entire affair.

"This is very sad for both the club and Mr White who has been a valuable member of the board for 21 years," Moores said.

"However, the board considers that the statements made do not reflect its own views and that this is not the Liverpool way of doing business. The proper place for debate is around the boardroom table.

"It is vital that we pull together at all times whether on the field or off it.

"It has to be said that at the first available opportunity on the day the article appeared Mr White was completely honest in telling me that he was responsible for it.

"He recognised that this made his position on the board quite untenable and he did the honourable thing by resigning."

I wish we had directors like that! If we did Shepherd and Hall would have gone AGES ago  :roll:

Maybe White will come back on to the Board after 'a suitable interval' when the fuss has died down , then take over as Chairman and proceed to buy up Liverpool shares...that sort of sounds familiar.. Oh yes, I know who did that...!!

Maybe White will come back on to the Board after 'a suitable interval' when the fuss has died down , then take over as Chairman and proceed to buy up Liverpool shares...that sort of sounds familiar.. Oh yes, I know who did that...!!

White has already been chairman of Liverpool ;)

He's also 76 years old. Stick a fork in him, he's done as far as Liverpool are concerned.

He can concentrate on his duties with England now, and on getting such luminaries as Steve Mcclaren as coach, such is the White footballing genius.