Flash in the pan or here for good?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Think we certainly overperformed in the 1st 11 games of last season. Starting line up was:

Krul

Simpson Taylor Colo RTaylor

Obertan Tiote  Cabaye Jonas

Ba    Best

Limited full backs and quite a blunt front 4 overall really. It was also quite a thin squad. We had a relative drop off in form after the 11th game until the a month after the end of the ACON. Pardew tried Vuckic in midfield a couple of times in that period. Also tried a 433 with Shola and Best which wasn't great. He still didn't fully trust HBA either at this time so he was still in and out.

It was when we finished the season with the same names as above, except with HBA in for Obertan, Santon in for Taylor, and Cisse in for Best (and Williamson for STaylor) that I think we really looked a genuine top 5 / 6 side.

Point I'm making is that we really developed over the course of a season. If we were starting with the same XI as we started last season with then I would say we were very much a flash in the pan side. But with HBA, Santon, Cisse, and hopefully Debuchy in the starting line up, as well as Marveaux and Ferguson pushing Jonas and perhaps even a striker to challenge Ba then I'd say we would be completely justified in hoping for 5th or 6th again, as all the weakest points will have been strengthened over the last 12 months.

I also think the fact we developed over the season is significant. Finding ways to improve during a season is something Moyes manages regularly at Everton and Ferguson often changes things around for a strong finish as well. I think its the sign of a good manager.

The likes of Redknapp and Bruce on the other hand just do the same thing over and over until they run out of steam in February. So I'd back Pardew to keep up the good work.