Tradition vs Ambition - A hypothetical scenario

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd take the re-brand, but understand those who wouldn't.  For me, football has changed so much already that you may as well take the ride and enjoy it.  And in the scenario proposed, we're still called Newcastle, yeah?  That's plenty.  It would be generations before the legend of the clubs history was more about the new brand.

When John Hall talked about a midweek european super league, he wanted us to get on board as he knew those who missed out were toast.  I agreed when he said it, but we fell short, and when the real big money arrived we fell away.  If we'd have made the jump before the money arrived, and gotten ourselves onto the top table it would have been huge for the club, the fans, the region as a whole.  It didnt quite happen, I'd take a second chance under the proposed circumstances. It doesnt change anything that happened in the past, and it would be the only likely way of us matching the teams of the mid-90's and early 00's for skill and excitement.  Those level players, if they arent good enough for Man City or whoever, they sit on the bench at a top club now, they don't sign for us.

One last point.  If we said no, and watched Red Bull Sunderland join the elite instead, would that be enough to make you regret it?  Whats the real difference in saying 'you bought the league' and saying 'you won the derby cos you had the world record striker playing for you'?

Think about Cabaye.  Good player, found his feet, very good player.  Current footballing logic dictates he has to go.  Has to.  Did.  The next one will, too.  Thats under any owner who isnt 'the proposed scenario'.

Imagine a manager who is the equivalent of Cabaye, and somehow we get him.  He finds his feet after showing promise in another league.  He prospers.  He'd have to leave, too.

How many players and managers do we watch, as they improve and inevitably leave, before the Devil's deal becomes tempting?  I watched the lads leave in the 80's, Waddle, Beardsley, Gascoigne.  That was meant to be over, when we were bought out.  It's back.

The next Keegan, if he was manager, would catch the eye with us amd win the league with someone else.

Fuck that man, I'm in for the ride.