Our injuries...

Guest FlapjackJoe

Guest FlapjackJoe

OK, everyone's harping on about how we have a full team out through injuries, etc.

Having had a look at the list, which of the players do we REALLY want back?

Goalkeepers:

Steve Harper

Obviously would love to see him back, but he's cover for Shay only, who seems fit.  Krul and Srnicek are adequate cover anyway.

Defenders:

Peter Ramage

Céléstine Babayaro

Titus Bramble

Craig Moore

Olivier Bernard

Steven Carr

I quite like Craig Moore, I think him and Steven Taylor should be first choice central defenders (or Moore as first cover if we bring in a new decent central defenders, which I think we will), so I'd like him back.  Ramage is good cover, not a regular first-teamer.  Babayaro's commitment has been called into question, he should be replaced.  Bramble is a joke, he'll probably leave when his contract expires.  As for Bernard, did he really re-sign for us this season?  I think Carr is half-decent, but I would like to see us strengthen the right-back position and keep Carr as cover.  Anyway, we will undoubtedly sign a defender this transfer window, and with the youngsters doing quite well, it doesn't really worry me if half these players don't come back.

Midfielders:

Charles N'Zogbia

Damien Duff

Emre (?)

Nicky Butt (?)

Charlie is a great talent, would love to see him back in action.  Dunno how long Butt is out for (I think he'll be fit for Brum in the Cup), and Emre hobbled off again (then again, he does every game, so I dunno if he was injured).  And Duff's return is inevitable.  Midfield is the one area where we're OK in.  Nobby to come back into midfield too at some stage when we have a proper right-back.

Strikers:

Michael Owen

Shola Ameobi

Obviously Owen is the big one, I still rate Shola (but he'll definitely be third choice at best after Owen and Martins, and probably behind another striker we look set to sign).

So, basically, in spite of the "worst injury crisis in the club's history", do we really miss most of those players all that much.  I'd love to see N'Zogbia and Owen back, I don't think any of the others would be first choice anyway...

if we get duff fully fit and playing to what we know he can we have one great player on our hands. Again with zoggy, just get him back and if he can rekindle his form, that will be great for us. Shola is underrated imo, and i feel he will work well with Martins/Owen. Then there is Owen himself, who is undoubtedly our main striker when fit. Can't wait for him to come back.

Guest elbee909

News for 2007: Michael Owen's comeback from injury stalls as all his limbs fall off. "I can do a job," his torso insists to the media. "I am still quicker than Shearer was in his last season."