Beckenbauer will back England world cup bid

Guest nufc 4 life

Guest nufc 4 life

good news for england and possibly us as we would almost definetely be one of the stadiums used  :)

Beckenbauer will back England bid 

Beckenbauer knows what it takes to successfully host a World Cup

German legend Franz Beckenbauer would back a bid by England to host the 2018 World Cup.

Beckenbauer was president of the organising committee when Germany staged the 2006 event and is now on Fifa's executive committee.

He told the News of the World: "I am 100% behind an English bid. England has everything - the best stadiums and the best crowds and infrastructure."

The Football Association confirmed in 2005 it would consider a bid.

606 DEBATE: Would England make a good World Cup host?

And the 2018 competition is almost certain to be held in Europe under Fifa's rotation system.

As in 2010, the tournament will be held in South Africa and the 2014 event is going to South America.

That narrows the competition significantly and Beckenbauer feels that England, who hosted the tournament in 1966, is the front-runner.

He added: "The only country I see with an obvious chance is England.

"Who else can bid from Europe? France has already staged it in 1998 and Italy do not have the infrastructure."

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has already been invited to England for initial discussions with Britain's Sports Minister Richard Caborn.

Caborn said: "The FA can count on commitment from the government and that is something we shall be impressing on Sepp Blatter .

"He has agreed to a meeting on 28 February. This will be a great opportunity for a proper dialogue with the main decision-makers in football. "

"I am aware of the Treasury's feasibility study on the World Cup and when it is published it will be a positive step towards bringing the World Cup here."

Guest TheDutchman

Its nice to see England hosting the worldcup, but I just cant forget al those half-filled stadiums at euro 96.... That was so dissapointing