Harper - Going backwards?

Karjala

I agree, if Harper had left the club between 2000 and 2003 to get regular prem footy, he could have England caps by now... BUT as he chose to stay, his game has gone backwards, and he'll never get an England cap now obviously.

No, I've never rated him. He's always been dodgy and has never inspired any confidence in me just sitting in the stand. God knows what he inspires in the defenders.

Slightly harsh imo, but I think he's a good reserve 'keeper and nothing more. I find the claims he'd have had England caps if he'd gone elsewhere a tad ridiculous. My dad can't stand him though, on the basis he's got too much 'edge'.  :lol:

it's not ridiculous tbh as there's been plenty of poor keepers called up for England in the time that Harper has been with us. robert green, ian walker & richard wright for instance, while carson and foster don't look to be anything special. had harper left in say 2000 i think he would've won a couple of call-ups.

but to answer the original question, yes he has gone backwards after playing so little football over such a long time.

A tad so, imo. I think the 'keepers you mention were/are better than Harper and I think he'd get found out after a few games were he to move on. I think this would have been the case had it happened a few years ago too. We'll never know though.

the only thing some of those keepers had over harper was regular first-team football. again, he's went backwards since, but had he left the club in 2000 when he was rightly keeping Given out the side (until shay threw his dummy out) i think it's probable that he would've been in and around the england squad. at the least, calling the idea ridiculous is a bit OTT.

I said a 'tad' ridiculous though. Which you've now ignored twice. Anyway, the bit in bold tells its own story, for me.

i don't think it is ridiculous or a 'tad' ridiculous to consider that Harper would've been in and around the england set-up had he left the club in 2000. Harper in 2000 was no worse than Ian Walker in 2004 (he was in the euro 2004 squad), Robert Green in 2005 or Richard Wright in 2001. as i said, the only thing those keepers had over Harper was first-team football.

i think you're looking at Harper's quality today and forgetting that he was keeping Given out of the team back then. since he has stayed at the club he's declined a lot, as would anyone playing 7 games in 5 seasons. simply saying "tad! tad! you forgot tad!" or "ooh the bit in bold tells its own story tbh" is a poor cop-out.

I think we've established that I do though and it's something we disagree on. I haven't change my view on Harper over the years so you're guessing wrong on that count. Also, his keeping Given out of the team (albeit briefly) was one of Robson's more bizarre decisions imo. I don't know what you're going on about re: the 'tad' thing. I used the word to mean that I thought it was a bit silly to suggest he'd have been called up, as opposed to saying it was completely outlandish to suggest that. That's just my view obviously. As for 'the bit in bold tells its own story' - it does. He's barely played any first team football in his career (when you consider the length of it), which is basically down to him being happy staying in his comfort zone. Not sure where the 'ooh' bit comes into that though, are you a fan of Frankie Howerd? :razz:

No, I've never rated him. He's always been dodgy and has never inspired any confidence in me just sitting in the stand. God knows what he inspires in the defenders.

I actually agree with that 100%. I've always got the feeling that he's just about to drop a bollock.

That's what I mean. He's a mistake waiting to happen.

Slightly harsh imo, but I think he's a good reserve 'keeper and nothing more. I find the claims he'd have had England caps if he'd gone elsewhere a tad ridiculous. My dad can't stand him though, on the basis he's got too much 'edge'.  :lol:

Maybe harsh, but as I say, I've  never rated him and you're right, those who were banging on about him being good enough for England were definitely being ridiculous. It made me laugh at the time and still makes me chuckle now to think about it. It's almost as bad as the usual suspects banging on about Ameobi being good enough to replace Shearer and how great Jeenarse was.

You just have to laugh.

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Can anyone tell me:  Have there been any reports in the time that he has been at the club where another team have made an offer for him?  If so when and for how much?

Can anyone tell me:  Have there been any reports in the time that he has been at the club where another team have made an offer for him?  If so when and for how much?

Rangers about £1million some time ago - 3-4 seasons mebbies - iirc.