Jack Allen

Guest Taylor

Guest Taylor

Hi Jack Allen, born in Walbottle, played for us in 1932 and helped us win the FA Cup against Arsenal. This is everything I know about the guy and was wondering if ou lot could fill me in any more.

Guest Taylor

I would like to know anything really. I am supposed to be looking into a local hero for the kids at school (student teacher). It is a local hero from Walbottle not Newcastle which is why Shearer was not chosen. If anyone knows any websites or any books could you send me a PM or anything cheers.

A Newburn lad, Jack Allen rosze to fame away from his native Tyneside and did not play for Newcwastle until he had seen service with Leeds, Brentford and Sheff Wed. It wa sat Hillsoborough that Allen hit the headlines as the Owls' chief goalscorer in the Championship wins of 1929 and 1920. Originally an inside-forward who joined Wednesday in 1927, he switched to lead the attack and grabbed 67 goals sin those two victorius seasons with Wednesday. Although his form then deserted him Newcastle had no reservations in paying £3,500 totak ehim to Gallowgate in June 1931. After a difficult period, he found his touch and scored frequently cinlduign two goals in the famous "over the line" Cup Final of 1932. Allen stood 5'10" tall and was an aggressive forward with a powerful left-foot shot. In 1934 he played for the Football League andin November of that year mo  ved to Bristol Rovers, 12 montheds later signign for Gateshead. He retired in 1936 and settled in the area. For many years he ran a pub, the Travellers' Rest, in Burnopfield. He died in that twon in 1957. His brother played for Brentford and Charlton

Year:Leage apps/goals:FA Cup apps/goal

1931-32:29/12:8/7

1932-33:36/19:1/0

1933-34:15/3:0/0

1934-35:1/0:0/0

Total apps 90, total goals 41

Gateshead

1935-36 : played 23, 12 goals, also played one FA Cup game

In one of these games he played against Carlisle in a 1-1 draw, the Carlisle goal scorer being Bill Shankly.

His last game was on 4th January 1936-  a 2-0 defeat away at Carlisle

Guest smoggeordie

Jack Allen also encouraged people to ditch the babysitting and come out tonight. Take his advice, i'd say!  ;)