Mourinho: I could have walked

Dokko

Mourinho: I could have walked

By James Pearson -  Created on 17 Jun 2007

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=472300&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=2&title=Mourinho:+I+could+have+walked

Jose Mourinho has revealed had he not been mentally strong last season then he could have walked away from Chelsea.

The hugely successful Portuguese tactician's job was reportedly under threat last term following a much-publicised fall-out with billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

However, the pair are believed to have reconciled and the former Porto boss has lifted the lid on the exact goings on within the confines of Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho concedes Chelsea works in a different way to the traditional hierarchy at most football clubs and has stated it is he who needs to adapt to the situation - not Abramovich.

"We reached a ridiculous situation that there were 14 coaches linked to my job last season," Mourinho told the News of the World.

"It was a crazy time and if it hadn't happened in a period when I was in a mature state of mind, I may have ended things at Chelsea.

"Right now, I'm the club's coach, Peter Kenyon is the chief executive, and there is a board that Roman Abramovich does not sit on.

"His position in the club is different and we have to get used to it.

"We are in a situation that has me considering Chelsea's playing staff, while Peter directs from a structural and financial point of view - while also including me.

"Roman Abramovich, as the club owner, has to be informed by Peter about the things that are being done and then says if he agrees or not.

"Peter Kenyon then contacts the agent and tries to reach a deal. Finally, he meets with the club owner to keep him informed and if Roman says yes, the deal is done.

"Communication still exists - it is just a different way of working."

Interesting he's lifting the lid on their communication issues and how they've resolved the matter, and even giving in saying he was not in the frame of mind and partly to blame.

All things everyone knew like, but good he's seen it and will probably be back to his usual standard next season.