Football star gripped by cricket.

Sparks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2007/08/hamann_enjoys_cricket_strategy.shtml

Ex Toon boy, Dietmar Hamann.

Football star gripped by cricket

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/hamann203.jpg

Another overseas star with a growing love of the game is Manchester City's German midfielder Dietmar Hamann, who spoke to Jonathan Agnew at the fourth one-day international at Old Trafford.

Hamman was at the match with some of his City team-mates including rising England star Micah Richards and told Aggers how he became interested in cricket during the 2005 Ashes series..

Dietmar Hamann"I became hooked by that amazing series which went down to the wire. I really love it now. It’s a really strategic game, you need to use your mind and imagination as well as needing great skills. Now I try and watch every game on the television or matches around Manchester or Liverpool," the German international said.

But despite his growing interest Dietmar has yet to try playing the game.

"I'd love to have a go, but I haven't managed it yet. I reckon I'd make a good fielder at least. Maybe if I batted at seven or eight I could make a few runs.

"I really admire what they do and to be honest I don't fancy facing a ball at 89 miles an hour. However when I go past a school and see children playing I often wish I had grown up here and got the chance to learn how to play."

Hamman is trying to learn about the history of the game, but there is one recent story which really attracted his attention.

"I don't read autobiographies, but the only one I have read is by Shane Warne. He mentions lots of famous cricketers so I am trying to learn what I can. And I hear Shane Warne is now trying to become a German," he said.

Hamann admitted that cricket is not exactly a big deal in Germany, adding: "Germans tend to like sports we are good at. I reckon if you ask nine out of 10 Germans they wouldn't know what cricket is."

But TMS had lots of e-mails confirming that there is plenty of interest, including one from Steve Farrington.

"Thought I should let you know that there is a thriving cricket community in Germany with 5 leagues battling through the summer. Most of the teams were established by ex-pats, armed forces or Asian immigrants, but there is now a second generation of home-grown German talent coming through.

"I, as a member of the RAF, umpired for several seasons over there in the 90's and 00's and the standard is not too bad. The national team have competed in the ICC Trophy (in Canada) and I have stood in matches against Holland Denmark and the MCC in the past"

Perhaps a German team captained by Shane Warne and featuring Dietmar Hamman may do even better in the future!