Fifa needs a geography lesson

womblemaster

Guest SeattleToon

The dividing line between European Russia and Asian Russia has always been the Ural mountains. Armenia and Azerbaijan are both west of the Urals and rightly belong in UEFA. Kazakhstan, however, is completely within Asia.

Guest kingdawson

Wiki:

Several national football associations which are geographically in Asia or mostly in Asia belong to UEFA rather than the Asian Football Confederation. These nations are Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Israel, Cyprus, Russia and Azerbaijan (Israel and Kazakhstan are former AFC members). Cyprus chose to be classed as a European football nation it had the choice of Europe, Asia and Africa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Israel is understandable, and I can see why Turkey and Russia in particular want to stay within the UEFA confederation in terms of not cutting off large financial supply to the larger clubs, but perhaps we should look at making the Russian and Turkish international teams qualify with the Asians in order to strengthen the quality of international tournaments.

HTF can cyprus have the choice of being classed as an African nation?

Wasn't in the EU at the time, and is geographically just an island off Africa as it is just an island off Europe.

Actually, geographically Cyprus is Asia.

Politically and culturally, it is Europe. Kind of like Armenia (and Israel?) in that way. In Asia, but culturally European. I think Greek Cypriots far outnumber Turkish Cypriots.

I used to hear the same shit about stamped passports barring you from certain countries until I went to Cyprus then Turkey on the same passport with stamps from each country.

Urban myth tbh

I'd heard that Americans visiting Cuba (usually via Mexico) routinely pass through Cuban customs without getting their passports stamped-- as it is against the law for U.S. citizens visit that country.* Don't know if that is an urban legend or not.

* Rather, I think U.S. citizens can visit Cuba, but are forbidden  to spend money there-- or something stupid like that.