NUFC.COM boys get it right.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest bluegeordie

Bored with it all to be honest, let the lad play his football for club and country, scoring many a goal for both, an injury free run will shut the doubters up.

Of course it will ... and 5 inches of rain will see lawn sprout in the Sahara.

Okay, I've overstated my point, and of course I hope for an injury-free run for Owen, but what I fear is the consequences of more of what we've already become used to since he's been on Tyneside. The last straw can't be that far off ... 

I would have thought that logically a first choice international player would usually play a higher % of games for his country than his club over his career.

I can't be bothered to find the stats, but I reckon Shearer would have been pretty close in terms of games played/missed for his club and country inbetween his debut for England and his international retirement.

Giggs on the other hand.......

Guest TampaToon

say what you want, but the man is responsible for at least 4 points in our current campaign.  if he doesn't do another thing for us all year, those 4 points might make a difference of 3 or more places in the table, a decent return on his transfer fee in and of itself.

his impact, however brief, in his first season in Newcastle might've been the difference between UEFA Cup football and more mid-table mediocrity.

i've no doubt he'll be responsible for more points down the line as well.  ultimately, we're a better team with owen available, and he's made a difference to our seasons' outcomes despite limited action

the True Faith boys get it right. (and disagree with the NUFC.com boys!)  Afro but it didn't need another thread!  coolsmiley

You really think so?

I read that as 'lets blame the media for Owen not being up for Newcastle games but always willing to pull an England shirt on'

Triue Faith told me nothing new

The Owen backers arent dealing with the issue at hand.

Saying his injuries have just been bad luck doesnt negate the notion that hes rushing back from injury to play for England. Making the point about bad luck merely refutes an arguement that hes feigning injury - which is not an really arguement being made.

Owen has been rushing himself back for England games since he first arrived here - his first major injury for us was when he broke his metatarsal in a clash with Robinson near abouts New Year's Day iirc, several months after we signed him, yet that first half season before that injury, he was picking up small knocks and strains left, right and centre, regularly being unavailable for us, yet was always miraculously fit again for an England game. The accusation is that hes rushing back early to play for England, yet wouldnt do the same for us if there isnt an England game round the corner, which is an utter piss take if its true, even more so considering the wages hes on and the fee we paid for him.

Spot on.

Lots of people here seem to have a short memory and have amazingly forgot what happened in his first 100 days as a Newcastle player.Since he arrived,he's never missed an England game for so-called niggling injuries.But he was unavailable for 6 or 7 club games in his first 3 months while played each of the 4 England games during that time.What a coincidence!

Moreover,people have every right to suspect he missed the last game of that season (when Newcastle needed to beat Chelsea to qualify for the Intertoto) to ensure himself fit to be selected for World Cup.Had it been an England game,I believe he'd have played.Yeah,compared to WorldCup,Intertoto is only shit.