The dark shadow of the D.O.F. (Jol wanted Elano and was ignored).

Parky

Martin Jol hits back at Damien Comolli

By Richard Morgan

Last Updated: 8:37am GMT 02/11/2007

Recently-departed Tottenham Hotspur coach Martin Jol has spoken for the first time since his abrupt departure from White Hart Lane last Thursday and to no one's great surprise the Dutchman has laid the blame for his exit squarely at the door of the club's sporting director Damien Comolli.

Jol says that during the close season he informed Comolli of his wish to recruit an experienced midfield player, as well as a left winger, to help the north London club break into the top four this campaign and he put forward the names of Brazilian Elano and Bulgaria international Martin Petrov, both of who were subsequently picked up by Manchester City's new manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

And, to add insult to injury, the pair have since gone on to play key roles in City's unexpected rise to third place in the Premier League.

Meanwhile instead, Comolli oversaw the transfers to Spurs of striker Darren Bent, centre-back Younes Kaboul and midfield players Kevin Boateng and Adel Taarabt for a combined cost of £30 million, moves which Jol himself strongly disagreed with.

"I felt the squad would be unbalanced with these signings and it proved to be the case," he says.

"The funny thing is the new manager will probably come to the same conclusions and the club will go out in January and buy the two players I felt we needed.

"When Frank Arnesen was director of football we spoke together about the players to bring to the club. But I did not have the same relationship with the next man.

"I think the club wanted to invest in younger players because they wanted to make money on them in the future.

"The decisions were not being made for footballing reasons," before Jol adds omniously that: "I knew that in the summer and I realised my position was becoming very difficult."

Meanwhile, the position of Tottenham's England international goalkeeper Paul Robinson could come under threat in Januray if Comolli follows up his reported interest in Udinese No 1 Samir Handanovic.

Despite claiming that he is unconcerned about his future at the Lane, it is thought that new Spurs head coach Juande Ramos has some serious misgivings about Robinson, with Slovenian Handanovic as well as Schalke's Manuel Neuer both possible January transfer targets should Robinson's form get any worse over the coming months.

However, Robinson himself remains defiant: "I am confident I will be the No 1 choice," said the goalkeeper.

"We have been working defensively, shoring up at the back. But the work is far from done."

Jol rewriting history tbh.

When it was uncertain that Berbatov would be staying or going (and it still is), there was a need for another able striker, both Jol and Comolli were agreed on Bent and Comolli agreed a deal at £8m rising to £10m .  When West Ham's involvement jacked up the price, Comolli preferred an Italian whose name escapes me, he was late 20's costing £7m or so.  Jol preferred Bent as he was proven in the Premiership and Levy agreed as he fitted in with the strategy of buying young and English with a trade on value and that in the end that was the way it was agreed to go forward.

Petrov had been on and off for about a year, left winger and quick, true, but had a cruciate and there were question marks about his pace being maintained.  Comolli had reservations, Jol had no great desire that Petrov was the one so it all fizzled out.  Elano was never on the radar as far as I'm aware.

As for Robinson, Jol always maintained he was one of the team's untouchables and will always play if fit irrespective of his form.  I'm not saying anything new, I said it all here before in previous threads.

No offence but I prefer to believe the ex-Spurs manager than his namesake. :cheesy:

If you care to research it a bit, you'll see that the ex manager said on numerous occasionsin press conferences that Darren Bent was his number 1 transfer target etc.

He was also coerced into dropping Defoe and briefing against the player at the behest of hidden forces to force Defoe into signing a new contract.

Curbishley wants one at West Ham apparently.

If it's initiated by the manager I have no problem with it. O0

"Technical Director" whatever that means.

Intresting. I would be all for Sam to go out and choose a DOF from a Euro club who could help with tactical and player purchase reviews. But it would be clear that SA has the final word.

Intresting. I would be all for Sam to go out and choose a DOF from a Euro club who could help with tactical and player purchase reviews. But it would be clear that SA has the final word.

Dark Shadow of DOF parky? :lol: you are too dramatized it .... don't say u'll make romantic novel from it :lol:

Nice quotes from fat Sam today saying it'll take 3-5 years for him to get the club sorted, I suppose that's to be expected when you've got to transform the whole club from top to bottom on your own...

I wonder what progress he's made on bringing our academy up to the level of Arsenals?

Dark Shadow of DOF parky? :lol: you are too dramatized it .... don't say u'll make romantic novel from it :lol:

mackems.gif

There are enough Jews invlolved for a tragic novel. :lol:

Nice quotes from fat Sam today saying it'll take 3-5 years for him to get the club sorted, I suppose that's to be expected when you've got to transform the whole club from top to bottom on your own...

I wonder what progress he's made on bringing our academy up to the level of Arsenals?

None probably.

None probably.

Why not? Bit of a poor show if true.

None probably.

One man can't do everything.  :cheesy:

None probably.

One man can't do everything.  :cheesy:

:giggle:

mackems.gif

There are enough Jews invlolved for a tragic novel. :lol:

Carefull parky.... some might try to crusade you :lol: