Owen and signing a new contract

Decky

Is there a thread on this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7048336.stm

Anyway, well played by Sam i must admitt. Although if all this is being discussed then surely Owen must want a new deal which is refreshing to hear.

We need to keep Owen, but only if he proves this season he can play over 25 Prem games.  If he breaks down repeatedly, I think we should move him on, but he if stays fit and scores goals, we should do what we can to renew his contract.  His ability is never in question, it's just the gamble on his fitness if we renew his contract right now.

Guest justin99.

IMO  Owen must be re-signed regardless of his salary. He's taken over Shearer's reign as Newcastle's ambassador to the world so to speak. I'm sure he makes the club alot more money through shirt sales etc. than a 100>150k per week salary.

IMO  Owen must be re-signed regardless of his salary. He's taken over Shearer's reign as Newcastle's ambassador to the world so to speak. I'm sure he makes the club alot more money through shirt sales etc. than a 100>150k per week salary.

I doubt that very much.

I'd have to say it seems Owen currently represents more of a liability for us than a corporate asset. His on field displays are also hardly meritous of the alleged six figure weekly salary.