Maik Taylors Save Off Gareth Bales Free Kick

Crumpy Gunt

What benefit would that be to an attacking team? It makes much more sense to go for goal from a direct free kick without their own players in the way, and the ball invariably goes in or over. You can't put in a decent cross from that position, any touch on the goal keeper is deemed a foul. 

What benefit would that be to an attacking team? It makes much more sense to go for goal from a direct free kick without their own players in the way, and the ball invariably goes in or over. You can't put in a decent cross from that position, any touch on the goal keeper is deemed a foul. 

You can't see the benefit from being able to put two players directly in front of the keeper, for example, for a direct free-kick?

So you have a wall that the player has to get the ball over, a player on each post that the player has to get the ball between, and a group of his own players the freekick taker has to avoid as well. Not to mention the players marking the opposition players in the box.

I'd fancy the defending team's chances every time.

God, leave the guy alone. He is one of the best around. Give it a break.

Plus, I watched henrys free-kick against him from last season, he nearly flew out the pitch.

I guess what I'm saying is there are some things which can't be helped.

Given > Taylor

Given > All but maybe Cech in the premiership. 

I love the "dominate the box" argument. When, in the history of Newcastle United FC, has Given been given (see what I did there) an even "competent" defence?

Ah yes, the answer is never.

Put him behind any of the top 4's defence and him "dominate the box".

There's so much wrong with the team at the minute and people are having a go at Given? I just don't get it.  :idiot2: