attention old timers.

madras

Guest walkerboy

On the subject of nostalgia, what happened to the Scottish connection?

When I first started going to matches, loads of fans were wearing these black and white tartan scarves. You'd occasionally see a Scotland flag, a black and white kilt and even the occaisonal chant for Scotland.

I'm talking away matches here, mind.

well during the late sixties early seventies fans would go to the games wearing rangers or celtic scaves without any hassle and there was always a celtic-rangers chant at half time. probably because back then we used to get loads of players from scotland and would also usually

have a pre-season with celtic at least.

i remember supporting scotland for a couple of seasons when Revie dropped supermac from england team after a couple of games even though he scored somethink like six in two games(?)

It was an ugly shithole back then wasn't it, hard to tell it apart from half the industry along Scotswood Rd at the time. :)

It was never as bad as when they pulled the Leazes down the same season we were relegated, I'm sure we'd have came back up sooner if the Leazes had not been pulled down, the noise would have made a difference.  I had mates who even stopped going because of it.

They pulled it down because Westwood & Co were sick of the abuse they were getting...!!

When I first started going to matches, loads of fans were wearing these black and white tartan scarves. You'd occasionally see a Scotland flag, a black and white kilt and even the occaisonal chant for Scotland.

well during the late sixties early seventies fans would go to the games wearing rangers or celtic scaves without any hassle and there was always a celtic-rangers chant at half time. probably because back then we used to get loads of players from scotland and would also usually

i remember supporting scotland for a couple of seasons when Revie dropped supermac from england team after a couple of games even though he scored somethink like six in two games(?)

God that brings back memories too, sometimes it used to last almost the entire period until the players came back out.

Guest walkerboy

God that brings back memories too, sometimes it used to last almost the entire period until the players came back out.

well suppose you've got t remember that we had to entertain ourselves through halftime as

it wasnt as easy t get out for half time as it is now-unless you wanted to go and stand in

inches of piss for a half time slash!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh memories

My lasting memory

The bloke in the brown overcoat walking round the cindertrack before the game shouting:

PEANUTS, TANNER A BAG, PEANUTS, TANNER A BAG

Ohhh, and those bloody awful boiled hambuegers on stale buns

and

THE BOILING HOT PLASTIC CUP OF BOVRIL

Ahhhhhhhhhh, happy days

It was his ability to hit you smack on half way up the Terrace that always impressed me - and he always caught the tanners as well

There was also that old git "Mr Magpie" - dressed up in a black and white tailcoat and would wander the touchline exorting the fans - he always started in the cheap end and finished up disapearing into the Toffs in the Paddock..............