Keegan eyes spending spree

sparta

Winter window signings would of enabled us to get 40pts for the season.

As it stands, its going to be close that we get 35pts nevermind 40.

Disgraceful all round.

If we survive, it won't be disgraceful. It'll have given him 5 months to have a look at the players at the club and 5 months to scout players. If we survive, it'll have been a wise decision not to sign anyone in the Jan window.

Wise? Jesus Christ. It will be fortunate.

Wise would of been getting some players in who could spark a very poor season.

Wise? mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

Typical short-term outlook.

Wise? Fortunate? Semantics as far as I'm concern. We won't be stuck with overpaid players whom we've overpaid for and might not even need.

Typical short term look?

Shut the fuk up man,

If you cannot see that our inactivity in the winter window has had a negative effect on this club you want (and i've thought this for a while now) shot with your own shit.

We are already stuck with overpaid wasters, and what's to say KK in the summer (and what's to say he would do it in the winter window) wont do the same again or equally as bad, stick with the wasters we've got and treat them like 1st teamers?

So you're suggesting that someone who's been out of football for 3 years comes in and spends £10m each on players that he hasn't seen before to 'spark' a poor season.

mackems.gif

Why not wait until the summer? The season is a write-off anyway. I'm not going to get into argument about why that is the case, but the fact is, at the time Keegan came in, we had little chance of Europe. Get your head around that fact. This 'spark' would have costed us a tidy sum (since it costs money to buy quality players and they cost EVEN MORE in January) and Keegan wouldn't have fucking known who to buy anyway. He would have had to spend money on a) players he hadn't seen before, or b) lesser quality players that he knew i.e. Premiership players playing for mid-table teams. Now, which Premiership teams would sell to us in January for a reasonable fee? No one. Do you think Bentley would have come in had we offered Blackburn £10m in Jan? Do you think a team with an outside chance of getting into the Champions League would sell one of their key players for £10m in the middle of the fucking season?

Why not let him wait 5 months to evaluate the players he has at the club? Why not give him 5 months to scout players around Europe before spending his allotted sum of money? If we survive, Keegan's decision not to spend will be proved to be very astute because he's now had ample time to see things the way they really are.

Like I said, if you wanted him to spend money just to satisfy your stupid urge, then it is a very short-term outlook.

All of this hinges on whether we survive. But if we survive, Keegan will have done the right thing.

You make valid points to a degree but where I think it fails is that you don't realise that people can come into a football club and see straight away what the most overwhelming need is. Keegan would not have needed 4 or 5 games to see what we needed, he would have seen it after 90 minutes, and his people in the dugout would have already known precisely the same thing and confirmed to him that he was correct.

Unless they are all complete dickheads of course.

I don't think the decision to buy or not to buy is either good or bad to be honest, if it is Keegans and I hope it is because if people meddle into this area then he WILL walk out, I think the decision not to buy is an absolutely huge gamble, and personally I think they should have targetted one or two players and just got them, I'm thinking of David Bentley here who's value in the summer will be more than it would have been 6 weeks ago.

I agree that he would have seen what he would have needed in 90 minutes, but could he have gotten quality, reasonably-priced players in during the last 2 weeks of the window?

He was out of management for 3 years, I doubt that he had a shortlist of midfielders/fullbacks/strikers in mind when he took the job. I doubt he had a realistic one anyway i.e. players that would come to a struggling club with a new manager.

And apart from trying for Premiership-proven players eg. Woodgate and SWP, what were his second choices? Third choices? 2 weeks isn't a lot of time for someone who's been disconnected from the footballing world for 3 years. And you might say 'oh well the club had scouts', well, did (does) Keegan trust the judgment of these scouts? If not, and surely you won't develop a trust in 2 weeks, then why would he spend money on the players that they suggest? Surely anyone can see that it'd be stupid to do so. Keegan's already mentioned it in an interview - 'scouts can do their job but ideally I'd like to see the players myself before buying them' is something like he said iirc.

I've seen you mentioned the old board signing Woodgate but you're ignoring the fact that Leeds were in financial trouble at the time. There's no other club in the Premiership in that situation now. And there wasn't a quality player available in Jan because of circumstances such as the one that Leeds were in. Everyone has money, no one needed to sell and it was the middle of the season = overpriced players.

I'll state that survival is worth paying lots of money for, so right now that's the be all and end all. But, if we stay up, then the gamble (and I do agree that it is a gamble), will have worked. I don't see why there's any argument on that. If it works (we stay up), then hindsight will have shown that his decision was good. Simple enough really.

I agree that he would have seen what he would have needed in 90 minutes, but could he have gotten quality, reasonably-priced players in during the last 2 weeks of the window?

He was out of management for 3 years, I doubt that he had a shortlist of midfielders/fullbacks/strikers in mind when he took the job. I doubt he had a realistic one anyway i.e. players that would come to a struggling club with a new manager.

And apart from trying for Premiership-proven players eg. Woodgate and SWP, what were his second choices? Third choices? 2 weeks isn't a lot of time for someone who's been disconnected from the footballing world for 3 years. And you might say 'oh well the club had scouts', well, did (does) Keegan trust the judgment of these scouts? If not, and surely you won't develop a trust in 2 weeks, then why would he spend money on the players that they suggest? Surely anyone can see that it'd be stupid to do so. Keegan's already mentioned it in an interview - 'scouts can do their job but ideally I'd like to see the players myself before buying them' is something like he said iirc.

I've seen you mentioned the old board signing Woodgate but you're ignoring the fact that Leeds were in financial trouble at the time. There's no other club in the Premiership in that situation now. And there wasn't a quality player available in Jan because of circumstances such as the one that Leeds were in. Everyone has money, no one needed to sell and it was the middle of the season = overpriced players.

I'll state that survival is worth paying lots of money for, so right now that's the be all and end all. But, if we stay up, then the gamble (and I do agree that it is a gamble), will have worked. I don't see why there's any argument on that. If it works (we stay up), then hindsight will have shown that his decision was good. Simple enough really.

Not with 4 first team players away in Africa.

Touche.

Though he will have seen how s*** our midfield is. Even if he thought Geremi was any good, he would have known that we needed some classy midfielders after 45 minutes.

I'm not sure what he would learn in his first 90 minutes against Stoke, we were all over them.  His next game was a draw against Bolton and we spent most of the game camped out in the Bolton half, again, he wouldn't learn much because we had games like that even when we were referred to as "The Entertainers."

Touche.

Though he will have seen how s*** our midfield is. Even if he thought Geremi was any good, he would have known that we needed some classy midfielders after 45 minutes.

I'm not sure what he would learn in his first 90 minutes against Stoke, we were all over them.  His next game was a draw against Bolton and we spent most of the game camped out in the Bolton half, again, he wouldn't learn much because we had games like that even when we were referred to as "The Entertainers."

I'm starting from the Bolton game and the fact that we couldn't break them down, had no shots, no real chances at all would have given away a lot about the quality of our midfield.

Touche.

I'm starting from the Bolton game and the fact that we couldn't break them down, had no shots, no real chances at all would have given away a lot about the quality of our midfield.

Exactly.

If that was Shepherd in charge of such non-activity, mick would be foaming at the mouth and attacking him. And whats more he knows it.